Consecutive dives before flight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi all,

I'm planning to take the OW and AOW courses soon in Mexico, with the theory session online, it's 4 days only. AOW goes down to 30 meters.

I'm also planning to take freediving class AIDA 2 at the same time, which depth will reach 15 to 20 meters.

I think that I am fine to take the freediving course after the scuba course since there's at least 24 hours.

But the issue is after my freediving course.

There are no strict rules saying about flight after freediving, but from my research, it is still widely recommended to not fly after freediving. The time frame between my last dive and my flight will be at least 12 hours, but I don't know if this is enough, taking into account that I'm diving many days in succession.

Can I fly the day after my freediving class? Is this schedule safe?

This is the plan:
Day 1 OW
Day 2 OW
Day 3 AOW
Day 4 AOW
Day 5 Two dives in Cenotes (pit and dos ojos)
Day 6 Snorkelling
Day 7 AIDA II
Day 8 AIDA II
Day 9 AIDA II
Day 10 morning flight around 8 AM

Thank you

free diving, no compress gas i don't see any problem to fly after. somewhere between (ish) day 5 and 6 all risidual nitrogen will be gone any no flight time no longer in effect .

Nitrogen is definitely absorbed by freedivers and can be modeled using the same equations that scuba divers use. It's worth getting more details. How many freedives and how long?

As an example, let's say during an hour, I dive to 18 m, stay 1 minute, surface, recover, and repeat 5 more times. Doing this for a total of 4 hours (24 freedives) a day for 3 days, I would wait 15 hours before flying. If it were just touch & gos, I'd have no problem with flying after 12 hours. Either way, my primary worry would be whether I could walk onto the plane after such a grueling schedule!

Nitrogen is definitely absorbed by freedivers and can be modeled using the same equations that scuba divers use. It's worth getting more details. How many freedives and how long?

As an example, let's say during an hour, I dive to 18 m, stay 1 minute, surface, recover, and repeat 5 more times. Doing this for a total of 4 hours (24 freedives) a day for 3 days, I would wait 15 hours before flying. If it were just touch & gos, I'd have no problem with flying after 12 hours. Either way, my primary worry would be whether I could walk onto the plane after such a grueling schedule!
it's only training is not gonna go for world record. i be very comfortable to take airplane after free diving with the schedule he plan. Is gonna see is wife again for sure, we will come
back alivvvveee.

Nitrogen is definitely absorbed by freedivers and can be modeled using the same equations that scuba divers use.

No.

There is no pressurized breathing gas.

No.

The gas in your lungs is at the same pressures at the same depths as in scuba.

The gas in your lungs is at the same pressures at the same depths as in scuba.

It's the "breathing" part that doesn't work the same way. Google it.

The gas transport is governed by a difference in inert gas partial pressure. Wouldn't you'd agree the PN2 in the lungs would be greater than 0.79 atm at depth?

PPCO2 will be raising until it hits the plateau and PPO2 will be dropping. Some studies also claim higher chance of pulmonary shunts and more N2 getting into the arteries. I.e. gas exchange is not working the way our equations ass-u-me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom