Reply from Viking re: Oriskany ripoff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dennis:
No. Did it deteriorate quickly? I wasn't being sarcastic, I just don't know.
It was damaged in a hurricane in 1995 ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If you want to take something home to prove you dove it....
Buy a camera! Hmm... now that's a new idea..

NWGratefulDiver:
It was damaged in a hurricane in 1995 ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ahhh. OK. Is the O in a position to be prone to damage during a hurricane?

Diver Dennis:
Ahhh. OK. Is the O in a position to be prone to damage during a hurricane?
Does it matter?

Does it somehow justify taking things if it may be damaged by an act of God one day?

Diver Dennis:
No. Did it deteriorate quickly? I wasn't being sarcastic, I just don't know.

It was a 387 ft long freighter sunk as an artificial in the 80s that is now, literally, a twisted bunch of metal after a hurricane came through in 1995. It's a nice dive...probably more so because of the damage (doesn't look artificial :wink:). There is still intact structure, but it's spread all over the place. I bet, in less than 20 years, that the Oriskany will not be a recreational dive.

Soggy:
I bet, in less than 20 years, that the Oriskany will not be a recreational dive.
You may have a point ... however, in those intervening years there is no doubt that she will be visited by thousands ... if not tens of thousands ... of divers.

This, I think, is really the issue. This ship was put down for recreational purposes. It's essentially a "park". Does anyone really have the right to deface any part of a park? Isn't it put there for the enjoyment of all?

If someone wants "trophies" they should seek them elsewhere. I doubt you'd be getting this sort of reaction if he'd taken a similar piece off of a real wreck.

I do know that up here, many dive ops display "trophy" pieces from shipwrecks ... and no one objects. But they'd be castrated if they were to ever take something off the Breton or Sasketchewan ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
That's a very, VERY broad brush you've got there Don. There have been divergent opinions expressed on this subject ... some of them well-thought out, many of them disagreeing with each other ... MOST of them not even mentioning the vessel captain.

I don't see this discussion in any way resembling a mob. I see it as a group of people wanting to express their views on a controversial action by a fellow diver.

Frankly, since you brought up the topic of self-righteousness ... your post is one of the most self-righteous I've seen in this thread. Basically you're telling people to either agree with you or shut up. I don't think discussion boards would be worth visiting if that attitude were to prevail.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Nice try Bob but no cookie. Phill Ellis and I both were talking about the Captain and what was being said about him. It's obvious to everyone there are side subjects going on but the OP was a slam on the Captian. The majority of the posts here as well as those in the prior thread are slams on the Captain. Collectively those slams are being made by the "MOB" and they are mean spirited, emotionally based and without a lot of fact.

You've expressed negative views about the Captain yourself. So who's the self-righteous one here?

It really don't think it's me.

NWGratefulDiver:
This, I think, is really the issue. This ship was put down for recreational purposes. It's essentially a "park". Does anyone really have the right to deface any part of a park? Isn't it put there for the enjoyment of all?

Well, it was put down primarily for fishing. Divers were secondary. The fisherman deface the wreck by just being there with their gear. I disagree with the idea that it is a "park."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom