Reply from Viking re: Oriskany ripoff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Allison Finch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
:shakehead
This is a reply from Viking's owner regarding the removal of items from the Oriskany. My e-mail to him said that it was "shamful" for him to allow the ripping off of items from the wreck thereby damaging the very wreck he plans to use as an attraction for divers in the future. I mentioned that it was short sighted. His reply was, in all honesty, a bit of an attack on me. I found that quite interesting. The rest you can judge for yourselves.

From Viking;

Obviously, your experience in diving is not from the perspective of what really happens on the day to day basis in the real world. Viking Diving has for years tried to maintain it's reputation to customer service and "Safety" above all else when it comes to diving. "Plundering" a dive site as you put it is most often done by people like yourself... the untrained and un- experienced diver. It is not that we endorse the disturbance of any reef whether it be taking items from a wreck or shells from a reef, it is more of the fact that we are a realist in knowing from years of experience that people are going to do these things regardless of what we allow. My job as a responsible dive operator is to ensure the safety and security of the divers who intrust us to take them to any dive site and make sure that they all return to the dock safely. The implications that we are only trying to profit from this wreck or any other shows your complete lack of knowledge of what a safe dive operation is all about in the first place. I was as surprised as anyone when I saw items coming aboard from the wreck, especially knowing the potential dangers of penetration of such a deep wreck. My responsibility was to make sure that someone doesn't kill themselves in pursuit of such meaningless "junk" so to speak. My operation is not filled to the ceiling with plundered items from local wrecks as is the case with every other dive operator in Pensacola, nor have I disrespected this Country and the men who serve her by writing my advertisement on the US Flag and displaying such on the reef.
SHAME??? Obviously, should fall on you as a diver, for spouting off your e-mail without knowing the facts about anything you imply. I am a US Air Force veteran and former US Special Operator. I work with the YMCA SCUBA program because our program is the only program who does look for the protection of our marine resources and being responsible as divers in the aquatic environment. I worked with the Cousteau's in the 1980's for the same reasons. If I where to be one who was trying to profit from such things, I would have done as everyone else and purchased a cattle boat to take every idiot diver in the industry to the wreck to do as they please and not have any concern for any of their safety. People are going to do what they are going to do, regardless of what you think and if someone is going to take something from a reef, then there is really noting anyone can do to stop them. A simple look into any book about diving will show this fact. Try reading "Shadow Divers" and see the plunder of a U-boat wreck off New Jersey despite the requests of the German Government to leave the wreck as it lay...
If you as a diver are so shallow minded as to not see the facts, then just like someone who would "plunder" a reef, you are just as irresponsible of a diver... if not more so. Unlike you however... I understand that you made a hasty comment about something that you really don't know anything about and "I, for one", am not a narrow minded as to say that you would not be welcome on my boat again. Nor would I try to hide my identity (or possible embarrassment of myself for showing ignorance of facts) and not even sign a letter written in complaint of anything.
Our mission will remain as it always has... to provide the best overall diving experience to everyone on board and not to become a dive operator who is only seeking to reap the profits without regard to what is really important in diving. Protection of our resources for future generations to come (if you knew anything about what you where implying, you should have surely seen just this when you where on my boat and heard about how my daughter herself is furthering this goal with my support). I will continue to fight to increase the skills and education of divers and when all the rest are gone by the wayside (like Skippers) I will remain here serving the interests of divers who have a serious commitment to the sport and a responsibility to it's continuance. Note: I have been here since 1992... longer than any other operator in Pensacola next to SCUBA Shack. Why... because we have built our reputation on facts... not misinformation and ignorance of such facts.
It's obviously your choice to remain in the dark and if you choose to dive with other operators, I can only hope that you will survive during their short life's as dive operators (the next oldest dive charter operator in Pensacola started only three years ago, and is already seeking other employment opportunities). We will continue to provide the best dive operation in Pensacola and the safest opportunity to divers long after your dive gear is collecting dust in a garage somewhere and with our experience of supervising literally thousands of divers over the years... we will continue to know more about what is best than someone who only has their own personal dives to their knowledge of the industry.

Sincerely,

Capt. Tim Thorsen

Validity (or not) of his points notwithstanding ... the attitude displayed by Capt. Thorsen doesn't sound like someone I would choose to do business with.

It is often the case that divers who start diving businesses don't really know much about how to deal with their customers ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Nothing wrong with that. Not to start another thread about the Mighty 'O', but as a dive operation their #1 responsibility is the safety of their customers.

Well, he didn't deny helping people make off with pieces of the boat. He was aiding an illegal activity, no?

I don't get this guy. All he has to say is that from now on he will tell divers they will not be allowed to bring artefacts from the wreck onto his boat and no collection bags are allowed, and this case is closed.

Instead he pleads that he can do nothing - which is clearly not true. It's his boat and he can make the rules - sure divers may manage to hide some stuff but there's not much room in a dive rig to hide anything significant.

It's interesting that he argued against official regulation of the scuba industry in an earlier post yet refuses to try and self-regulate which is what will ultimately decide whether the government steps in or not.

Safety is #1 concern, no doubt about it. but it seems to me that a responsible operator wouldn't allow items to be brought onto his boat....

Very simple to say "take only pictures, we do not condone or allow removal of items from wreck sites" before getting on board...

It does rather seem like an acid-laden diatribe...as they say here in Texas, "A hit dog always howls" - I think you hit a nerve.

but hey, what do I know. I guess I'll just "remain in the dark" while my "dive gear is collecting dust in a garage somewhere"

D.

I've sent an email to Viking informing them of this thread if they wish to respond or clarify.

jonnythan:
Well, he didn't deny helping people make off with pieces of the boat. He was aiding an illegal activity, no?

That was what really stood out for me in the text... He actually clearly admits he saw what was going on.

Sad.

Back
Top Bottom