Diving the Thistlegorm no liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want to hear really crazy, I did it some years ago as a day trip from Dahab. Very early morning drive to Sharm, then hours on the boat. Two (good dives) and then did it all in reverse. Looong day, but I did not know when I would be back in Egypt.

If you want to hear really crazy, I did it some years ago as a day trip from Dahab. Very early morning drive to Sharm, then hours on the boat. Two (good dives) and then did it all in reverse. Looong day, but I did not know when I would be back in Egypt.
That's a trip :)
My first time was day trip from Sharm, 2 dives and a third somewhere else on the way back. That was a long day in itself, without the road move from Dahab on either end of it.

I was on a liveaboard back in 2012 (Whirlwind) where we did 4 consecutive days on the Thistlegorm (4 dives a day). On two of those dives we had no other dive boats with us so we had the wreck to ourselves. It was also during neap tides so we had minimal current. As others have said, it is best done on a liveaboard. If you have enough people aboard who are interested in doing so many dives on the Thistlegorm then the cruise director will be happy to stay in one spot. The trick is to charter the boat with a specific itinerary that you want and then fill the spots with divers are who interested in doing the same type of diving as you.

Everyone I know who dived Thistlegorm did it from Sharm and had to wake up at 4am and were gassed by the end of the day. It is best on liveaboard to cut the travel time.

If weather had not worked against us, we would have had 4 dives on the Thistlegorm last week. The plan was to get there after the first morning dive, then do a late morning, an afternoon, a night, and then a morning dive the next day.

The current kicked up and was too much for the night dive, so the boat canceled that.

I got one deco dive on it, while most of the boat did a short morning dive and then an afternoon dive. And then I got the morning dive the next day. The deco dive was only an hour, but we did a pretty much complete tour of the whole wreck, starting with the locomotives and then the deepest level of all the holds and then the next level up and so forth. No stopping to take pictures on that dive, but it was a great orientation and I think I got a lot of good video footage of it. The next day's morning dive allowed me to pretty much swim to exactly the places I wanted to go to take pictures.

My only experience on the Thistlegorm was on an overcrowded day boat from Sharm while I was staying at Dahab, in July 2021 whilst still under Covid rules.

I think I posted about it back then, but I wouldn't repeat this as it was rather disorganised to say the least, e.g. nitrox offered and no analyser

I think the only way I'd do this again would be on a liveaboard.

I've made three daylight and one night dive from a liveaboard with emperor

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom