Remaining MV Spree/flower garden trips canceled for 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...I'm pretty sure that when he said 'bailing on the local community' he wasn't referring to aborting the balance of the 2008 FG dive season...he was referring to the permanent move to the Dry Tortugas/FL in early 2009....which I wouldn't characterize as helping the local (TX) dive community. (which is a different issue than helping out with the recent hurricane aftermath.)

I'm pretty sure he meant this year---OP probably didn't know it was heading to Fl.......

First off... I am sorry if I have upset anyone... the original intent of the thread was to YES rant a little bit (ok allot, bag was packed and sitting at the door) but it was also to let everyone know there would be no more trips on the Spree this year... or ever again possibly.

I'm pretty sure he meant this year---OP probably didn't know it was heading to Fl.......

I did know they were moving to Florida and thats the reason for the comment... Yes, it was a bit harsh....

The fact still remains THAT the chances of diving the FG are now cut in half... as long as the Fling stays. If the Fling goes as well, diving the FG will no longer exist and anyone in Texas will either have to dive lakes or fly to somewhere for good diving... THATS a FACT. Thats what I am upset about. I was really looking forward to diving the FG.

And for those who think I am a Kid or just plain stupid.... Sorry, not either... I am a commitee chairman for CS2R (California Ships to Reefs) and chair the sink sites. I am also a teacher with the 3R's (Rocks, Rips and Reefs) which is a group the informs kids on the local water ways in Southern California. I am in Texas because of work.

I believe that the Fling and the Spree are owned by the same company, but I could be wrong. These long voyages are being threatened not by callous owners, but by out of sight Diesel prices. Pit these increasing prices against a shrinking economy, and they have to make some TOUGH choices. It might be as drastic as moving one boat or risk losing both of them.

As for S2R, DEMA will see some great announcements about ScubaBoard's relationship with this great organization.

As for S2R, DEMA will see some great announcements about ScubaBoard's relationship with this great organization.

Looking forward to that.... wish I could make it to DEMA to hear the news... as we need all the support we can get. Just watch out for Dick Long.... he's a funny guy but boy he sure is stubburn too.

The fact still remains THAT the chances of diving the FG are now cut in half... as long as the Fling stays. If the Fling goes as well, diving the FG will no longer exist and anyone in Texas will either have to dive lakes or fly to somewhere for good diving... THATS a FACT. Thats what I am upset about. I was really looking forward to diving the FG.

.... I am in Texas because of work.

And the Spree is going to FL because of work. I went on a trip with them in August and the boat was only half full. Between weather in the central Gulf causing trip cancellations and low customer demand, it looks like the FGB just can't continue to support 2 boats at this time. Might be some of the fallout from the slow economy - discretionary spending is the first to suffer. I'm sure if the Fling starts making too much money on FGB trips, some other boat(s) will come along to share the riches.:D

Your chances of an FGB trip are not cut in half. Both boats often operated at less than full capacity. Your choice of dates may be more limited and you may have to book a bit earlier to get your reservation. And if demand does start to challenge supply, you may have to pay a bit more. Good luck.

Will someone explain to me why so many expect a private business to become a charitable organization and fault it for making a business decision which will aid in the number one goal of any private business which is to make money?

The Fling isn't going anywhere. It is still scheduled to continue running FG trips next year.

After some thought I am leaning strongly towards letting them keep my money and just do it in the spring. I imagine it has to be tough to empty the bank account to repay all of the currently scheduled trips. I budgeted for it already... so it just means a "free" dive trip for me come spring. And according to friends in the know this is all a blessing in disguise as the hammerhead shark spawning is supposed to be in the springtime when I would be rescheduling for. I'll be sure to post a full report on my return...whenever that is...

...I'm pretty sure that when he said 'bailing on the local community' he wasn't referring to aborting the balance of the 2008 FG dive season...he was referring to the permanent move to the Dry Tortugas/FL in early 2009....which I wouldn't characterize as helping the local (TX) dive community. (which is a different issue than helping out with the recent hurricane aftermath.)

I do realize he meant the move to the Dry Tortugas. That's why I said the decision was not made lightly.

If FG looks anything like Sonnier Bank after Katrina, we might not want to see it. Might hurt a bit.

The Spree plans were always to move to Tortugas after May 1, 2009 so their spring trips do not reflect a change of mind or an extension.

SNIP>
The fact still remains THAT the chances of diving the FG are now cut in half... as long as the Fling stays. If the Fling goes as well, diving the FG will no longer exist and anyone in Texas will either have to dive lakes or fly to somewhere for good diving... THATS a <SNIP>

The Spree and Fling have done everything boat owners could possibly do to get the business they need to survive in the gulf. The decision to move to the Tortugas was not made lightly, it was well thought out, lots of people were asked what they thought, and in some ways still a risk. The boats in the gulf depend on the dive shops to promote their product to the scuba divers. Between dive shops going under, scuba divers cutting back on their travel and spending, a change had to be made. I still believe the dive shops stopped promoting the boats and just sat back and waited for the boats to do all the advertising so the shop could just sit back and rake in the commissions. That is why i got so mad about the comment on the Spree "bailing on the local dive community" . If anything the dive community bailed on them. Boats were running half full, people were waiting until the last minute to book, dive shops were not being creative enough to offer instruction ( specialties) during the lesser liked times to be in the gulf, the shops were not promoting as much as they used to. Everyone started to expect more for less. The Spree spent a pretty penny to refit the boat so they could have less divers on the boat, include Nitrox, upgraded the kitchen, the menu was improved, they did everything they possibly could to make it better for the diver and the experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom