Remaining MV Spree/flower garden trips canceled for 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

river_sand_bar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just got word that the remaining 2008 year trips aboard the MV Spree have been canceled.

I was scheduled for the weekend of the 20th/21st of this month. Less than 2 days till we leave!!!! UGGGGG.... I am sooo angry right now. I needed this trip so bad after this last week of being here in Houston. I was sooo looking forward to it.

Last word I heard was the boats were fine and everything was a go... now, not only is the trip canceled, I cant even reschedule. According to the e-mail, the boats are going to be used for housing during the remainder of the year. Guess its better to get money from Fema than divers. Grrrrr.... but I guess they are running a business and its a better deal to get money for every day FEMA, than only on the weekends. Just hope the boats dont get trashed like the trailers did from the Katrina victims... but then again, who cares as long as the Government pays for it all....

"Yes" I am ranting a bit here and "Yes" I do feel for all those that have lost from Ike... I know, I live here.

Just got word that the remaining 2008 year trips aboard the MV Spree have been canceled.

I was scheduled for the weekend of the 20th/21st of this month. Less than 2 days till we leave!!!! UGGGGG.... I am sooo angry right now. I needed this trip so bad after this last week of being here in Houston. I was sooo looking forward to it.

Last word I heard was the boats were fine and everything was a go... now, not only is the trip canceled, I cant even reschedule. According to the e-mail, the boats are going to be used for housing during the remainder of the year. Guess its better to get money from Fema than divers. Grrrrr.... but I guess they are running a business and its a better deal to get money for every day FEMA, than only on the weekends. Just hope the boats dont get trashed like the trailers did from the Katrina victims... but then again, who cares as long as the Government pays for it all....

"Yes" I am ranting a bit here and "Yes" I do feel for all those that have lost from Ike... I know, I live here.

Sorry to hear that, you would have enjoyed your trip probably but can understand their end too......The Spree was leaving out anyway-for good- in a few months so that does not surprise me a bit.........btw, there are ALOT of people hurting right now---I just got back from Houston about 15 minutes ago blue roofing our daughter's & their next door neighbor's houses, saw alot of bad 'stuff' traveling from our home in SW Louisiana thru Vidor, then thru Beaumont and on into the Heights of downtown Houston.......Maybe next summer you'll get to make a trip on the Fling, roughly the same trip.........good luck in the rest of this year's diving........

...don't stop ranting just yet......remember, as of end of April '09, SPREE is leaving the Flower Gardens....FOREVER! ...sigh....

...don't stop ranting just yet......remember, as of end of April '09, SPREE is leaving the Flower Gardens....FOREVER! ...sigh....

And you can up that timeframe several months----the Gulf 'shuts down' to commercial boats probably about November or so.....Not so for private ones, I blew my port engine(150 Yamaha) one year--on the 1st Saturday of Jan 24 miles out of Cameron heading to WC 178's(we get it 12 months a year---just let it settle down about 2 days after a cold front)........

I was scheduled for Oct 4-5. Very sad as I wont have an opportunity to do salt until Dec. Just murky old (Not So) Clear Springs for me until then. *sigh*

But ...my email offered me the chance to reschedule for the spring. Perhaps they have delayed their departure due to the hurricaine??? Maybe they will be around for another year??

As for Houston having gas... I filled up last night, with no line whats so ever. There is gas in Houston.

And as I had said before, I think for them, its a better move as it will make them more money being paid to be a hotel on a daily bases than to take divers out only on weekends.

I am just upset and sad that I had saved enough money to make the trip, now its not gonna happen and wont ever happen.

As for Houston having gas... I filled up last night, with no line whats so ever. There is gas in Houston.

And as I had said before, I think for them, its a better move as it will make them more money being paid to be a hotel on a daily bases than to take divers out only on weekends.

I am just upset and sad that I had saved enough money to make the trip, now its not gonna happen and wont ever happen.

Depends on what part of Houston you're in---it is a big place(plus you said you have juice, right???---that makes a BIG difference)...I can tell you in the Heights and north of there, Humble, it is a long wait----ie nite before last my SIL(lives off Atascocita in Humble----& they have no juice)) got a call from their son @ 10:30 PM saying such & such station just got a load of gas---they 'only' had to wait an hour in line(vs 2-3 like before) till getting some.....If I were you I'd get on my knees & thank the good Lord of your situation.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom