Remaining MV Spree/flower garden trips canceled for 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Still no power at my granddad's place in La Marque. I'll be going down there to help when power gets going again.

Just got word that the remaining 2008 year trips aboard the MV Spree have been canceled.

I was scheduled for the weekend of the 20th/21st of this month. Less than 2 days till we leave!!!! UGGGGG.... I am sooo angry right now. I needed this trip so bad after this last week of being here in Houston. I was sooo looking forward to it.

Last word I heard was the boats were fine and everything was a go... now, not only is the trip canceled, I cant even reschedule. According to the e-mail, the boats are going to be used for housing during the remainder of the year. Guess its better to get money from Fema than divers. Grrrrr.... but I guess they are running a business and its a better deal to get money for every day FEMA, than only on the weekends. Just hope the boats dont get trashed like the trailers did from the Katrina victims... but then again, who cares as long as the Government pays for it all....

"Yes" I am ranting a bit here and "Yes" I do feel for all those that have lost from Ike... I know, I live here.

You sound like a spoiled brat. Hundreds of thousands have lost everything they own, entire cities have washed away, and people are working through the nights to try to restore a semblence of order to the world. But you are upset you can't go on a dive trip. :shakehead:
Your comments about "it's a better deal to get money from FEMA" and insinuating that hurricane victims are all trashy... that's just offensive.
I hope the mods delete this thread before anyone who has been truly devestated by this storm reads what you have written.

You sound like a spoiled brat. Hundreds of thousands have lost everything they own, entire cities have washed away, and people are working through the nights to try to restore a semblence of order to the world. But you are upset you can't go on a dive trip. :shakehead:
Your comments about "it's a better deal to get money from FEMA" and insinuating that hurricane victims are all trashy... that's just offensive.
I hope the mods delete this thread before anyone who has been truly devestated by this storm reads what you have written.

Very well put & I agree 100%-----what I saw yesterday was not pretty heading from SW Louisiana into Houston----& I did not even come close to ground zero.....People are hurting BIG time there & this kid thinks his messed up dive trip is a big deal........Honestly, he needs to take a hike.......

Sorry that everyone else's misery has inconvenienced you. Why don't you do something constructive with that weekend like go hand out some hot meals to people who don't have basic utilities or even a roof over their head anymore and be thankful that you have both.

As for Houston having gas... I filled up last night, with no line whats so ever. There is gas in Houston.

And as I had said before, I think for them, its a better move as it will make them more money being paid to be a hotel on a daily bases than to take divers out only on weekends.

I am just upset and sad that I had saved enough money to make the trip, now its not gonna happen and wont ever happen.

Dude, suck it up! :shakehead:

It's understandable you are disappointed at the trip being scrubbed, but it is not the end of the world so to speak as it is for thousands of fellow Texans not the mention thousands more in other states affected by Ike.

You should count your blessings on how lucky you are to be safe and in good health instead of crying :depressed: over such a trivial trip to the FG.

Man I just don't understand some folks---amazing.... :shocked2:

In my defense.....

I am from San Diego and lost my house and all its contents 5 years ago in the Ceder Fires..... so I KNOW the heart aches these people are going through. I have also spent the last three days clearing trees and patching roofs for friends.... again... I know what is going on!!!! I have waited in lines for ice and gas and just the other day got electricity myself.

I am NOT upset at nor ignorant to the fact that many many people have lost in this hurricane.

But that doesn't mean I cant be a bit disappointed and frustrated by the fact that the boat will not make ANYMORE trips this remaining year. But they would like to keep ahold of the money I have sent on the chance that there might be a trip in the spring. However, after talking with Kevin they may not even do that.

I just wanted and needed a break from all of this crap...

Last edited:
I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, and I'll bet others have thought of this. Do ya'll think there would be interest in a charitable dive event, perhaps at CSSP or some other location? I'm thinking Swampers might bring items for a meal (hot dogs, hamburgers, etc...) but charge for the complete meal itself, as well as soft drinks. A treasure hunt could be organized (though I have little idea how to drum up prizes...almost no LDS in my neck of the woods) even if it's a "white elephant" hunt (every participating diver brings an item he wants to dispose of...er, PART with), though an entry fee is required to participate, say five bucks so it doesn't get outrageously expensive. In short, we try to find ways to drum up funds for a KNOWN charity that does work in the hurricane zone and still have some fun diving at the same time.
Any thoughts or interest?

(and I apologize in advance for hijacking the thread...if there's interest, I'll start a new one)

Bailing on the local dive community.

You have got to be kidding me......This statement just sent my blood pressure through the roof. You have no friggin clue what Capt Frank and Melanie have done for the dive community.

Last edited by a moderator:
now now... don't make me pull this car over.

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, and I'll bet others have thought of this. Do ya'll think there would be interest in a charitable dive event, perhaps at CSSP or some other location? I'm thinking Swampers might bring items for a meal (hot dogs, hamburgers, etc...) but charge for the complete meal itself, as well as soft drinks. A treasure hunt could be organized (though I have little idea how to drum up prizes...almost no LDS in my neck of the woods) even if it's a "white elephant" hunt (every participating diver brings an item he wants to dispose of...er, PART with), though an entry fee is required to participate, say five bucks so it doesn't get outrageously expensive. In short, we try to find ways to drum up funds for a KNOWN charity that does work in the hurricane zone and still have some fun diving at the same time.
Any thoughts or interest?

(and I apologize in advance for hijacking the thread...if there's interest, I'll start a new one)

That is a great idea Guba! I wish I had thought of that. I would suggest starting a new thread, so as to not interfere with the bickering going on in this one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom