Regulators & Location of manufacturing....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chad Carney:
I know that piston regulators were out long before Sherwood began selling dive gear.

Chad
Zeagle FL Rep.

True but they were manufacturing them long before they sold them as their own brand.

Sherwood regs are made by Sherwood,Taylor-Wharton Gas Equipment Division of Harsco Corp. in Niagara Falls,New York Sherwood SCUBA is based in Santa Ana, Ca

Ahhh, slowly getting there.......
Thanks to all the manufacturers & Rep.'s!

Updated list:

Made in U.S.A.
Atomic Aquatics
XS Scuba
Aeris
Oceanic (Also China)

Made in U.K.

Made in France

Made in Sweden

Made in Italy
SEAC/Seac Sub - OEM [Via D. Norero, 29 16040 San Colombano Certenoli (GE)]
Tabata/TUSA (also Japan)

Made in Japan

Made in Taiwan

Made in China

so why are all the dive manufacturer companies based in California? Is there really that much more diving there? or is just kinda that that's where most of it started?

I would think that hands down that Florida would be the "Dive Capital" of the US.

Here's some CA based manufacturers: Aeris (San Leandro, CA), Aqualung (Vista, CA), Sherwood(Santa Ana, Ca), Genesis(Santa Ana, Ca??), Scubapro (El Cajon, CA) , Atomic (Huntington Beach, CA ), Catalina (Garden Grove, Ca), Oceanic (San Leandro, CA), XS Scuba (Santa Ana, CA )

Zeagle & Dive Rite appears to be in Florida but not that many are outside CA, but most appear to be in California.

(I know I didn't name them all, but just used the above as examples).

mike_s:
so why are all the dive manufacturer companies based in California? Is there really that much more diving there? or is just kinda that that's where most of it started?

I would think that hands down that Florida would be the "Dive Capital" of the US.

I don't know about Florida, as I've only done a few dives there, but I do know that there are a LOT of divers and dive spots in CA. The Breakwater in Monterey has been called the most popular shore diving beach in the country. On any given Saturday or Sunday, there's probably at least a few hundred divers there, and it's just one small beach in Central California.

Here's some other CA dive spots, and it's just a small fraction of the diveable spots.

http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/swell/CDNDiveSites.html

Oh, and you forgot that both Catalina and Luxfer cylinders are based in California, too.

Not only are Atomic regs made in the USA by Atomic but all the metal components are manufactured by Atomic in our facility in Oceanside. The parts are sent from the manufacturing plant to our office in Huntington where they are tumbled, cleaned, assembled, tested and boxed. This allows us complete control over our products as mentioned above.

My guess as why many "US" manufacturers are located in California mostly has to do with the import/export market and access to the ports in San Diego, L.A., and such. I think it has little to do with where people actually dive. I would further guess that due to the trade imbalance, many ships leave here with much less than they came with. That should (in economic theory...) reduce the shipping cost of exports. I think they would try to recoup as much of their cost for the return journey rather than come home with an empty ship. And we won't even begin to factor in fuel cost to send an empty ship across the ocean... As for the companies that do outsource their manufacturing to China, Taiwan, South Korea, Singapore, Malaysia, etc., It cost very little to have your ISO container delivered to a local warehouse. To steal a line from the real estate folks, location, location, location.

This irritating economics lecture was brought to you by the letter "E"

They had headquarters in CA long before intermodal became the preferred shipping method, and even before the parts were made overseas. Nice theory though.

There are a LOT of divers in CA.

sauga:
My guess as why many "US" manufacturers are located in California mostly has to do with the import/export market and access to the ports in San Diego, L.A., and such. I think it has little to do with where people actually dive. I would further guess that due to the trade imbalance, many ships leave here with much less than they came with. That should (in economic theory...) reduce the shipping cost of exports. I think they would try to recoup as much of their cost for the return journey rather than come home with an empty ship. And we won't even begin to factor in fuel cost to send an empty ship across the ocean... As for the companies that do outsource their manufacturing to China, Taiwan, South Korea, Singapore, Malaysia, etc., It cost very little to have your ISO container delivered to a local warehouse. To steal a line from the real estate folks, location, location, location.

This irritating economics lecture was brought to you by the letter "E"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom