Basic gear from mid-twentieth-century Italy: Other manufacturers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm grateful for the likes, АлександрД and jale, and for the posts, jale, dmaziuk and Pete.

1280px-DSC00363_-_Mosaico_delle_stagioni_%28epoca_romana%29_-_Foto_G._Dall%27Orto.jpg
And now to complete the Francis Sub range of fins. We shall start with the Nettuno. "Nettuno" is Italian for "Neptune" (Latin: Neptūnus), god of freshwater and the sea in Roman religion and the counterpart of the Greek god Poseidon. Here is the Nettuno fin:
1657430067563.png
Features:
  • Fin with long blade.
  • Black all-rubber fin.
  • Non-floating.
  • Moulded in one piece, hence less likely to fracture.
  • Suitable for swimming, pool training and deep-sea diving.
So a long-bladed free-diving style fin. I have a pair in my collection, purchased at a bargain price from a Czech online retailer. The fins come with very soft and comfortable natural-rubber foot pockets and stiff and powerful extended blades. They follow in the tradition of the Mares Concorde below, which is still made in Turkey, and other all-rubber long-blades.
1657430675654.jpeg

Francis Sub Nettuno fins were not only sold in the Czech Republic, Slovakia and the Russian Federation but also once States-side:
1657431021087.jpeg
Some more images of the model:
1657431181991.jpeg

1657431202569.jpeg

1657431234093.jpeg
I shall stop there for today and leave the remaining two Francis Sub fin models for midweek. Stay safe and keep well in the meantime.

Thanks for the likes, АлександрД and lowwall.

We are now down to the final two fins in the Francis Sub range. They were more recent arrivals than the others and were branded "Waterfly". Let us start with the Endurance model:
1657690647818.jpeg

1657690666568.jpeg

1657690690641.jpeg

1657690710828.jpeg

1657691911780.jpeg
The Waterfly Endurance full-foot fin was available in many fittings from child to adult sizes. This from a Polish online retailer:
1657690863126.jpeg
So a closed-heel fin more closely resembling models made in Malaysia for other swimming equipment distributors. Francis Sub probably wanted to take on these Far Eastern manufacturers in the worldwide swim fin market, but ultimately failed in the attempt to compete.

Second Francis sub fin of the day is the Waterfly X-Power:
1657691510678.jpeg

1657691542623.jpeg
It is basically a cut-down version of the Endurance for competitive swimmers' workouts. It was available in fewer fittings than the Endurance:
1657691672093.jpeg
That will suffice for today. This concludes the Italian thread. Next time, at the weekend, I shall be starting a new thread, moving westward in the Mediterranean to Spain and probably beginning with the Nemrod company. Until then, keep well and stay safe.

Maybe @Angelo Farina can answer this. What purpose do those mini fins serve? I was a competitive swimmer and we never used them. Form is vital in competitive swimming and you don't use the same kick with fins as you would without so I would think it's counterproductive to spend pool time using them. You certainly don't need extra accessories for movement specific muscle strengthening, the enormous increase in drag as speed increases means sprint intervals serve that purpose quite well.

BTW, it's probably obvious, but Pomarańczowe/Niebieski means Orange/Blue and Czerwone/Niebieski means Red/Blue.

Maybe @Angelo Farina can answer this. What purpose do those mini fins serve? I was a competitive swimmer and we never used them. Form is vital in competitive swimming and you don't use the same kick with fins as you would without so I would think it's counterproductive to spend pool time using them. You certainly don't need extra accessories for movement specific muscle strengthening, the enormous increase in drag as speed increases means sprint intervals serve that purpose quite well.

BTW, it's probably obvious, but Pomarańczowe/Niebieski means Orange/Blue and Czerwone/Niebieski means Red/Blue.
As David Wilson already posted these short fins are used by long-distance swimmers to reinforce the muscles in their legs. It is not for sprint pool swimmers, but for swimmers of long distance in open waters, as Gregorio Paltrinieri - Wikipedia
For the same purpose they also use palmed gloves:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom