Basic gear from mid-twentieth-century Italy: Other manufacturers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Third and final snorkel of the day is the Francis Sub Solenio:
1656232420768.png

1656232458875.png
The classic black Francis Solenio snorkel had a semi-contoured barrel with a built-in keeper and an antibacterial and hypoallergenic soft rubber mouthpiece.

The name "Solenio" was very likely coined from Ancient Greek σωλήν (sōlḗn, “channel, pipe”). A probably more familar derivative of "sōlḗn" is the English noun "solenoid", literally meaning "pipe-shaped", but actually denoting a coil of wire that acts as a magnet when an electric current flows through it:
Solenoid-1.png
So much for Francis Sub snorkels. Next time, midweek, we shall review a couple of Francis Sub diving masks with built-in snorkels. Until then, keep safe and stay well.

Thanks for the likes, Jale, and for the postings, GDHLEWIS and АлександрД.

As promised, two Francis Sub snorkel-masks. I first came across the Francis Sub Gorgona snorkel-mask in an Italian online diving museum:
1656481185576.jpeg
Caption:
Italian:
"Gorgona. Maschera gran facciale Gorgona con fascetta color arancione. Non è stato possibile identificare il costruttore. Risale comunque agli anni ’80".
Rough translation: "Gorgona. Gorgona full-face mask with orange band. The manufacturer could not be identified. It dates back to the 1980s".
1280px-Island_of_Gorgona.jpg
"Gorgona" may refer to the northernmost island (see above) in the Tuscan Archipelago, a group of islands off the west coast of Italy.

It is also possible that the name might derive from "Gorgon", a creature in Greek mythology. Gorgons occur in the earliest examples of Greek literature. While descriptions of Gorgons vary, the term most commonly refers to three sisters who are described as having hair made of living, venomous snakes and horrifying visages that turned those who beheld them to stone. The single snorkel emerging from the top of the mask may ve reminiscent of one of these poisonous serpents.

When a Francis Sub snorkel-mask came up on Italian eBay a few years ago, I purchased it to add to my collection, which can be viewed at My snorkel-mask collection.
1656482322091.jpeg

1656482343225.jpeg
The snorkel is topped with a hinged float valve similar to the "Gamma" valve on the "Semplice con valvola" snorkel reviewed last time. Note the presence of the tube on the wearer's right, while most snorkel-masks have it emerging top left. The mask has a plastic rim and a rounded rectangular lens.

More auction imagery below:
1656482813782.jpeg

1656482856571.jpeg

Second snorkel-mask iof the day is the Francis Sub Vulcano. "Vulcano" is Italian for "volcano" and the name may be an allusion to the single snorkel topped with a hinged float valve spouting inhaled and exhaled air in the same manner as an active volcano spouts molten lava:
1656494643273.jpeg

1656494663423.jpeg

1656494706889.jpeg

1656494738126.jpeg
I have a Vulcano in my collection, purchased via Italian eBay. The product description:
Italian: "Maschera Francis modello Vulcano - maschera vintage anni 70-80 con alloggio per tubo snorkel.
Lente in materiale plastico, struttura in gomma colore nero e plastica colore giallo".
Rough translation: "Francis Vulcano model mask: a 1970s/1980s vintage mask with socket to accommodate snorkel tube. Plastic lens, black rubber and yellow plastic construction".

The Vulcano closely resembles the Gorgona snorkel-mask in appearance. Where it differs is in its dimensions, the Gorgona being a standard adult size, while the Vulcano seems designed to fit youngsters and people with smaller faces.

That must suffice for today. Next time, at the weekend, we shall review the Francis Sub range of fins. Until then, stay safe and keep well.

Thanks for the likes, lowwall and АлександрД.

Now let us move on to the Francis Sub range of fins. We shall start with the oldest Francis Sub model that I have managed to find, the Albatros:
1656837015895.jpeg

1656837061528.jpeg

1656837078172.jpeg

1656837122516.jpeg

1656837147960.jpeg

1656837178612.jpeg
As you can see, the Albatros was a full-foot fin with a toe opening, a non-slip heel and a centre rib for reinforcement on the underside of the blade. It was available in orange and black. The most distinctive feature was the pattern of radiating lines extending from the toe to the blade tip on the topside. I have never seen the Albatros on sale in any online retail outlet. The images I have found all derive from online auction sites.

Like the Albatros, the Francis Sub Falcon fin was named after a bird:
1656838580407.jpeg

1656838692232.jpeg

1656838731259.png

1656838834376.jpeg
So another full-foot fin, somewhat resembling the Albatros but without the line pattern on the blade. The colour range included solid orange, black, blue and two-tone yellow and black. I have a pair of these fins in my collection, purchased from an online German store, and they come with stiff blades but extremely soft and comfortable.foot pockets. They are (or were) on sale in Central Europe, notably Germany and Poland, and have found a considerable following as swim workout fins, although they do make excellent snorkelling fins too.

I'll leave matters there for today. Next time, midweek, we shall review two more Francis Sub fin models, possibly the Gabbiano and the Nettuno. Until then, keep safe and stay well.

I have a pair of these fins in my collection, purchased from an online German store, and they come with stiff blades but extremely soft and comfortable.foot pockets. They are (or were) on sale in Central Europe, notably Germany and Poland, and have found a considerable following as swim workout fins, although they do make excellent snorkelling fins too.
It's funny, as I was reading your post on the Albatros I was thinking that they looked like they would make a great pair of pool fins. The black one is even in my size.

My brother-in-law lives in Krakow. I may have him try to track down a pair of orange Falcon's for me.

The two-tone ones are about the most common workout fin size. Competitive swimmers would typically go with smaller blades as they promote "better" -- for finless swimming -- kick cadence, but for general muscle pumping:

Thanks for the like, Iowwall, and for the posts, Iowwall and dmaziuk.
1280px-Gabbiano_Vittoriano.JPG
Two more Francis Sub fins up for review. First the Gabbiano, named after the Italian word for "gull" (above); note the stylised seagull wings on the blades:
1657110713998.png
1657110729870.png

1657111113762.png

1657111138838.png
Thesse fins were also sold predominantly in Central Europe and particularly in Germany, the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Poland, where its features were listed as follows:
  • Fin for universal use.
  • Natural-rubber fin.
  • Durable fin with high latex content.
  • Fin will float to the surface.
  • Available colours: Black, Orange, Blue.
  • Moulded in one piece, hence less likely to fracture.
  • Very suitable for swim training and school swimming lessons because the soft blade increases leg-kick speed and frequency.
  • First choice in a confined space (e.g. pool) because the softer rubber blade reduces the risk of injury to other bathers.
Francis Gabbiano fins represented the “flexible fin” option in a comparative study of manikin carry performance by lifeguards and lifesavers when using barefoot, flexible and fibre fins. The research report can be found in an article posted online at: Comparison of Manikin Carry Performance by Lifeguards and Lifesavers When Using Barefoot, Flexible and Fiber Fins.

The second model for today's review is a short-blade training fin made by Francis sub but unbranded or marked with the distributor's name:
1657112262114.jpeg

1657112314079.jpeg
These two-tones are the very model of pool workout fins with their soft, comfortable full-foot pockets and their stiff short blades. Their features are listed as follows:
  • Ideal for sprint training
  • For improved leg strength and better propulsion
  • Fins with very hard and short blades
  • Sizes from 35-46, blue/yellow
  • For more leg power and better propulsion.
  • Fins with very hard and short blades, with high latex content, therefore ideal for sprint training.
  • Colour blue/yellow
  • Weight approx. 600 g
  • Resistant to chlorinated water
  • Resistant to seawater
And there we must leave matters for today. At the weekend, we shall review the remaining Francis Sub range of fins. Until then, keep safe and stay well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom