Regulator choice: Apeks XL4, AL Mikron, ScubaPro MK25 EVO + G260

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Neal Yang

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been lurking the forum for the past few weeks as I get ready to pull the trigger on getting my first regulator. After going through things, I've narrowed it down to 3 main choices based on price, performance and availability in my local area (Malaysia):

Apeks XL4 (US$800 from the sole authorized distributor in the country)
Aqualung Mikron (US$890 from the sole authorized distributor in the country)
ScubaPro MK25 EVO + G260 (US$750 from an online shop)

All prices include octopus and single SPG

Any advice to nudge me to whichever direction? Thank you in advance!

Here's some additional info, feel free to add to the questions:

Where will you be diving?
Primarily near home around Malaysia, so warm tropical waters. However, due to the geography here, I will have to fly to most dive spots or have a very long drive.

What is your budget?
Around US$700-US$900 for the full set including octopus and manual SPG.

How often will you dive?

Probably around 50-100 dives per year if I had my way.

What are your diving goals?
I do not have plans to go for cold water diving/cave diving/tech diving/go the professional route? I would say, of those I mentionedm I'm most likely to go cold water diving and maybe be a hobbyist instructor/DM. I already have the DiveRite Transpac XT BC set up for single back mounted tank, if that is relevant.

How often do you intend to get your reg serviced?
To be honest, less than the manufacturers recommendation. From what I understand reading around and speaking to instructors (and even some dive shops that sell and services regs), you only need to service when you need to service. Properly maintained regs are very hardy and after market parts are easy to find, so the warranty isn't that meaningful. I do intend to get an IP gauge and learn to inspect the reg myself from time to time. My LDS and instructor friends have offered to show me how to inspect the regs.

Another thing is, I don't think a lot of brands are readily available in Malaysia. The ones I know are here are (not an exhaustive list): Aqua Lung, Apeks, Atomic, Cressi, Mares, Scubapro, Sherwood, Poseidon, Tusa, Zeagle

1. ScubaPro MK25 EVO + G260 (especially since it is less expensive than the Apeks/AL)

2. Atomics (sealed first stage).

Forget the rest!
I would reverse this list :wink:

Don't get the Aqualung Mikron at that price! Before it was discontinued, it was deeply discounted. Maybe you're talking about the 2018 version? I'd still get the Scubapro.

It was a list not order of preference but I agree with you, I'd get Atomic first but SP is a very close second.

It was a list not order of preference but I agree with you, I'd get Atomic first but SP is a very close second.

Which Atomic and why Atomic? It's not that common a brand here though I've seen some stray pieces in different shops.

At those prices I would get the scubapro

The reason why I haven't gotten the SP is because it does not come from a proper merchant, just an online store that showed up in a Google search. Going through a reputable distributor would cost me US$900 here.

Which Atomic and why Atomic? It's not that common a brand here though I've seen some stray pieces in different shops.

The reason why I haven't gotten the SP is because it does not come from a proper merchant, just an online store that showed up in a Google search. Going through a reputable distributor would cost me US$900 here.
Any atomic but for the money a Z2 would be my choice, they all share basic design and differ in material details. Atomic Are simple and rugged and the seat saver in the second stage helps increase the service interval but some people don’t like this feature but for me it’s a plus.

The SP is also a great choice.

I like first stages that have two hp ports so that I can have a transmitter and an spg. It doesn't look like the Apeks has two. The Mikron works fine, but is optimized for compactness and low weight. The Mk25/G260 is optimized for performance. I personally would choose a Mk17/G260 combo, but the Mk25 does have better hose routing options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom