Regulators and DIR ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoppy

Reaction score
Having gone through the fundys book carefully (I hope) I still need to ask what may be to some a daft question but here goes.

When diving twins (doubles) how many regs should i be carrying for redundancy and mounted how ? Assuming the long hose goes on the right post, where do the other(s) go?

The book implies only two regs but is that truly redundant? Or have I missed the point somewhere?

Thx in advance

Hoppy:
The book implies only two regs but is that truly redundant?
Yep - 2 first stages, each with a 2nd stage attached.
A first stage on the right post with the long hose and primary 2nd stage.
A first stage on the left post with the bungied backup second stage.
Yes, with doubles this is redundant.

Hoppy:
Having gone through the fundys book carefully (I hope) I still need to ask what may be to some a daft question but here goes.

When diving twins (doubles) how many regs should i be carrying for redundancy and mounted how ? Assuming the long hose goes on the right post, where do the other(s) go?

The book implies only two regs but is that truly redundant? Or have I missed the point somewhere?

Thx in advance

With doubles you have two posts – left (shoulder) and right (shoulder).There is a first stage regulator on each post.

Off the left post first stage you should run:
>Alternate second stage regulator (that’s the one on the short hose)
>SPG
>Dry suit inflator (if needed)

Off the right post first stage you should run:
>Primary second stage regulator (that’s the one on the long hose)
>Wing Inflator

Hope this helps.

I guess I was thinking that more than two would be needed for "redundancy", but thinking it through again with manifolded twins two is enough.

No problem, I'm used to humiliating myself in public I do it regularly

Hoppy:
No problem, I'm used to humiliating myself in public I do it regularly

Hoppy

You have your left and right post setup as stated above. You must think this through from here. What is the likelihood of any particular failure? If you lose one regulator setup you shut down the tap and thumb the dive. At this point your teammate is watching you and you exit together. If on the way out you happen to lose your second regulator then your teammate is your redundant supply. The chances of losing both regulators are very remote. We dive in teams therefore we always have 2x or 3x the redundancy. My team’s gear is my gear and vice versa.

I have experienced free-flows in both regs on a dive at about 800ft out in approx 70ft of water. We still got out with gas to spare. My team was my redundant supply. Here is the link.

http://www.scubaboard.com/t45818.html

It was posted as a warning to some local divers, who got into ice diving this past winter without training or experience. This failure was due to high IP pressure settings after a reg service. This failure also occurred in very cold water. The temp on the gauge was reading 32f.

My experience is limited. This is from a Tech1 prospective. If you require more details please contact one of the instructors.

JamesP:
Hoppy

We dive in teams therefore we always have 2x or 3x the redundancy. My team’s gear is my gear and vice versa.

This was the bit I was missing I think, the Team concept, only being new to twins I suppose I'm thinking like 2 singles, but I see now it ain't so.

I get it now, if one side fails, shut it down, abort the dive and my "team" is with me all the way to the top should the second one go (god forbid).

I'm sure I'll get there, looks like it's gonna be a slow journey, but I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end.

Shame we don't have more of the GUE guys over here, or maybe it's a good excuse for trip over there to do DIR-F, which I intend to do as soon as I can just so that I find out just how far I have got to go !

Explorer arrived last Saturday , so theres some more fun coming I'm sure getting that sorted out. Can't wait lol.

Cheers again guys

Hoppy

It's also worth noting that, unless you shut down the isolator, you will still have access to your all of your remaining backgas.

Hoppy:
....., looks like it's gonna be a slow journey, but I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end.

Shame we don't have more of the GUE guys over here, or maybe it's a good excuse for trip over there to do DIR-F, which I intend to do as soon as I can just so that I find out just how far I have got to go !

Explorer arrived last Saturday , so theres some more fun coming I'm sure getting that sorted out. Can't wait lol.

Cheers again guys

Hoppy

You have a UK GUE presence here http://www.gasdiving.co.uk
The instructors name is Andy Kerslake. The info was found on the GUE site http://www.gue.com/info/resumes/akerslake.shtml .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom