Regulator Servicing Costs In Vancouver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone,

I recently acquired a used Apeks regulator set off of craigslist. It is an older TX-50 model and hasn't been serviced for 5 years, but it is otherwise in good shape. I had them checked out and connected to air and there seems to be no major issues. I took them to a dive shop near my area to ask about servicing and was quoted $250 for the first, second, and octo ($100 labour plus $150 parts). I contacted a few other local shops, and the price runs between $250-290. That price seems exhobitant, especially if they are to be serviced every year (costs more than what I bought them for!). I was wondering if there were any cheaper options to get them serviced around the Vancouver area, or if there was somewhere I could ship them to.

Thanks

Not sure if you're quoting US $ or Canadian $, but an average fee in the states (TX) ran about $ 125 US last time I had something serviced. Scubatoys advertises $ 60 labor plus $ 10 - $ 30 for parts, assuming you're not in warranty, " the return shipping normally runs around $13.00 to $16.00 depending where it's going, if you want to add any purchases of product that total over $100.00 then the shipping will be free within the continental US."

Not sure if you're quoting US $ or Canadian $, but an average fee in the states (TX) ran about $ 125 US last time I had something serviced. Scubatoys advertises $ 60 labor plus $ 10 - $ 30 for parts, assuming you're not in warranty, " the return shipping normally runs around $13.00 to $16.00 depending where it's going, if you want to add any purchases of product that total over $100.00 then the shipping will be free within the continental US."

I'm quoting in CAD, so it would be around $200 USD to get it serviced locally.

That price is about right, the kits are about $50 a stage and $100 for labour is reasonable. However, I personally feel there is little need to have a reg overhauled even every 2 years let alone every year. I suggest pick up a IP guage ($25) and simply check your IP the night before you dive. This is a great indicator of a potential issue. If it hasn't been serviced in 5 years, I'd definitely have it done and you should be good for another 2-3 years. I own many Apeks and they are rock solid.

You are probably looking at about $5 worth of parts in each of those kit, wholesale. And that labor price works out to about $100 per hour with much less skill/knowledge requirements than an auto mechanic. They get away with it because the industry does a very effective job of suppressing competition. DIY

You are probably looking at about $5 worth of parts in each of those kit, wholesale. And that labor price works out to about $100 per hour with much less skill/knowledge requirements than an auto mechanic. They get away with it because the industry does a very effective job of suppressing competition. DIY

It's definitely something I would like to learn to do eventually, but seeing as I'm just starting out, I'm not super-comfortable with servicing my own regs quite yet. I'm considering getting a set of HOGs for my next regs. I don't mind supporting my LDS, but not when it's going to cost me more than what I bought my regs for!

Grab Vance Harlow's book and Pete Wolfinger's book and read through them. Find a service manual online. Buy parts kits online.

My only problem with the Hog course is that instructors are few and far between and it's often a ways to go just for the regulator portion of the course if you don't have other Hog gear that they cover. Not to mention the tool list that they want you to bring with you. It would be really nice if it was something they could turn into a webinar along with a pdf service manual for just the regulator stuff. Charge for it it definitely, but I feel like a lot of people don't necessarily have the time or money to spend to travel someplace just for service their regs. It's easier for them to send them off to someone like DGX or DRIS during the off season than spend what could be a dive vacation learning how to swap high pressure seats.

Yes - it's not cheap to get regs serviced. If I did not do it myself I'd buy a new set of HOGs on sale (black Friday usually works well), dive it for 4-5 years/200-250 dives, sell it, buy a new one, repeat.

It's definitely something I would like to learn to do eventually, but seeing as I'm just starting out, I'm not super-comfortable with servicing my own regs quite yet. I'm considering getting a set of HOGs for my next regs. I don't mind supporting my LDS, but not when it's going to cost me more than what I bought my regs for!

I took the HOG reg service course from Nanaimo Dive Outfitters. It's a long day, including the ferry rides, but definitely worth it. Plus you get to rub shoulders with some hardcore tech divers.

Apeks is pretty solid reg. 5 years is about right for overhaul. I dive 4 Apeks regs and rebuild every 2 years (or about 1500 dives). You can buy service kits for about $25 on ebay. Apeks used to supply free service kits to dealers years ago but that has stopped. When I had my shop in Burnaby, we charged $75 for overhaul including parts. If you are coming to Cozumel, I can rebuild any Apeks reg if you bring down service kit. The HOG is essentially the same as Apeks....

Back
Top Bottom