Regular suitcase vs. Gear bag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emmaboo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello everyone,

I'm traveling to central america this year and will be needing to transport my stuff _(BC, regs, comp, fins and mask) which I hope to be able to do with a carry on. I'm curious if a regular old suitcase would make a huge difference to transport my stuff? I'm trying to save a few bucks and I would prefer not having to buy another bag when I have soo many regular suitcases lying around here. Any advice is appreciated!

I would be amazed if you could get all of that in a carry on but would also be envious :D. My size makes it a guarantee that I will never be able to do that. I say go with a suitcase and stay away from the gear bags. Gear bags have logos which might as well be targets for thieves. Even with a carry on you really need to be careful. I also do not know if there are gear bags that are small enough to fit carry on.

Bottom line....buy an inexpensive hardsided suitcase and use it until it needs replacing. Mine works great even though I have a gear bag. I chose to use the gear bag for local and to not carry the target through the airport.

I just had this same issue - I have a storage room full of various sized suitcases so I didn't want to buy another one as it is a family joke right now about how many suitcases we have but I decided to get one because I liked the many compartments available. I chose the Mares Cruise Roller because it folds up into a small size and has wheels. I've never been on a live aboard yet but I have been on cruises and the closet space you have is tiny so I didn't want to have it wasted with hard sided suitcases. I liked this one because the fins on the side will protect the gear inside yet allow me to fold it up once the gear has been taken out. The other thing I liked about this suitcase is it has a detachable reg bag so I can pull it off easily to carry on with me then attach it back once at the destination.
I do have the concern about hauling a nicely marked diving bag through the airport though. I bought one of those TSA approved locks but that doesn't prevent someone from taking the whole bag.

you know... I think your right. Now that I think about it, my fins alone are way bigger than carry on standards... But if I could fit my regs, comp and bc in a back pack I'd be happy. A hardsided suitcase sounds like a good idea. I'll have to check the storage room haha.... I really wanted to take my regs and comp on the plane though. Is it a good idea to maybe put my regs in a Tuperware with a towel to protect them? Or go with a cloth reg bag? I will be very worried about thieves when I'm out and about as I'm going to be by myself and have many stop overs. So many opportunities for anyone to take my stuff (seems like it's more likely to happen when I'm by myself). Thanks for the quick replies!!

you know... I think your right. Now that I think about it, my fins alone are way bigger than carry on standards... But if I could fit my regs, comp and bc in a back pack I'd be happy. A hardsided suitcase sounds like a good idea. I'll have to check the storage room haha.... I really wanted to take my regs and comp on the plane though. Is it a good idea to maybe put my regs in a Tuperware with a towel to protect them? Or go with a cloth reg bag? I will be very worried about thieves when I'm out and about as I'm going to be by myself and have many stop overs. So many opportunities for anyone to take my stuff (seems like it's more likely to happen when I'm by myself). Thanks for the quick replies!!

Your reg set and computer have to come with you as carry on. They will fit in a plastic bag, a purse,.....almost anything but definitely do not check them. I have a quasi cloth reg bag that works just fine. As long as it comes with you on board all should be good.

I always carry on my regs, computer, and mask. Makes for a happy vacation even if they lose or delay your luggage.

BTW, I use a Jamaican Smuggler from Stahlsac for my checked gear and clothes. Very well made, excellent warranty and customer service. Recommended by my local dive shop. Other than the small Stahlsac logo (which isn't a widely recognized logo), its just basic black.
Stahlsac Watersports Luggage - Sub-Mariner Dive Luggage - The Jamaican Smuggler - W421-B

.......Other than the small Stahlsac logo (which isn't a widely recognized logo), its just basic black............

I can agree with you here. I looked at that and could not really tell that it would contain dive gear. The only problem that I see is that this costs close to $200 and I picked up my large end of line suitcase for less than $40 and the amount that I use it for dive vacations, it should last me several years. Your is probably built to last longer but at several years per end of line suitcase, I figure I am still ahead.

This bag is a good option though in my opinion.

Yeah, Stahlsac's are expensive. But they are very well built, and have very nice features like internal compression straps that actually work, and are designed for dive gear. The warranty is also very good, and my LDS tells me they have replaced bags even beyond what the warranty covers (airline damage). But I see your point. I used a $50 suitcase for years until I decided to buy the one I have now (I bought mine on sale for $120).

I do know what you mean mruseless. I have a $150 Akona bag which I used for travel abroad and then realized that it really was a huge target. That is why I use it for my 30 or 40 local dives each year and only use the suitcase for my travel abroad. If I had bought your bag, I would likely be using it rather than the suitcase because it does not have the target.

I just took a look at my Stahlsac bag, and the logo is a little rubber swatch that is sewed on. So if someone reading this is wondering about it, you can just cut the stitches and take it off.

BTW, the main reason I bought a new bag was that my suitcase weighed 17 lbs (!!), and the Jamaican Smuggler weighs a mere 9 lb. More weight allowance for gear! Woot!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom