Recommendation for non-luxury safe liveaboard, rental gear (1w)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Asanoth

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,
I am my wife (AOWD, 50 and 40 dives mostly in south-east Asia) would like to do a liveaboard in Egypt next year. We would like to prioritize wildlife, especially cartilaginous fish, which I guess would send us south, but we dove only one or two wrecks so far, so it would not be bad to spice things up with some wrecks as well - but not as a priority. I also like small stuff and honestly, my no.1 priority would be cephalopods, I am not too keen on (true) fish. I also do not feel like looking only at sharks for a week (but I guess that is not the case?).
I am thinking about a week aboard. We do not want a luxury cruise, we are quite content with basics, private room, working water, gluten free food option and, most importantly, good safety standard for both boat and equipment. I also read about crew stealing from cabins, so I would obviously like to avoid that, even though I still cannot imagine this being a regular thing in such a closed environment. Given our central European origin and current geopolitical situation we want to avoid Russian-filled boats at all costs. We would prefer laid-back English spoken boat, the mood we had on our LoB at Komodo was very nice. I guess we could also take a LoB with a local club from our country, but we'd prefer to do it on our own with foreign people and keep flexible schedule. We want to do decent amount of night dives (if possible, every day). Of course, in general, the more dives the better, after all that is what you pay for, but I also got the impression that dives in Egypt are quite short, maybe 35ish minutes: Is it because they are deep? Not that I'd be the best on air consumption, but if my wife gets any better, she will come up with more air than down :D .

We do not have our own gear, only computers and masks, so we would need a LoB which rents the gear for their guests. Investment in our own gear is unjustifiable given how and how often we dive.

I read that the best time to visit the BDE (not that I am saying we need to do BDE) is June - September. However, my wife would also like to visit some of the historical sights (I already saw all the mains), I am thinking 2 days Luxor and 2 days Cairo, possibly a day elsewhere if convenient, for which these months are definitely not the best given the heat. But great diving is the priority, so given that, does it make sense to think about other months? We are flexible, but doing this 2nd half of May onwards mid September would be more convenient (not really dealing with the heat, though). Also, if we were to visit the sites, Sharm-al-sheikh would not be the best finishing/starting point (but I think we'd be better off south anyway).

Would you please have any tips for us - regarding gear rental, time frame, itineraries and specific boat/companies recommendations?
Thank you!

Hello,
I am my wife (AOWD, 50 and 40 dives mostly in south-east Asia) would like to do a liveaboard in Egypt next year. We would like to prioritize wildlife, especially cartilaginous fish, which I guess would send us south, but we dove only one or two wrecks so far, so it would not be bad to spice things up with some wrecks as well - but not as a priority. I also like small stuff and honestly, my no.1 priority would be cephalopods, I am not too keen on (true) fish. I also do not feel like looking only at sharks for a week (but I guess that is not the case?).
I am thinking about a week aboard. We do not want a luxury cruise, we are quite content with basics, private room, working water, gluten free food option and, most importantly, good safety standard for both boat and equipment. I also read about crew stealing from cabins, so I would obviously like to avoid that, even though I still cannot imagine this being a regular thing in such a closed environment. Given our central European origin and current geopolitical situation we want to avoid Russian-filled boats at all costs. We would prefer laid-back English spoken boat, the mood we had on our LoB at Komodo was very nice. I guess we could also take a LoB with a local club from our country, but we'd prefer to do it on our own with foreign people and keep flexible schedule. We want to do decent amount of night dives (if possible, every day). Of course, in general, the more dives the better, after all that is what you pay for, but I also got the impression that dives in Egypt are quite short, maybe 35ish minutes: Is it because they are deep? Not that I'd be the best on air consumption, but if my wife gets any better, she will come up with more air than down :D .

We do not have our own gear, only computers and masks, so we would need a LoB which rents the gear for their guests. Investment in our own gear is unjustifiable given how and how often we dive.

I read that the best time to visit the BDE (not that I am saying we need to do BDE) is June - September. However, my wife would also like to visit some of the historical sights (I already saw all the mains), I am thinking 2 days Luxor and 2 days Cairo, possibly a day elsewhere if convenient, for which these months are definitely not the best given the heat. But great diving is the priority, so given that, does it make sense to think about other months? We are flexible, but doing this 2nd half of May onwards mid September would be more convenient (not really dealing with the heat, though). Also, if we were to visit the sites, Sharm-al-sheikh would not be the best finishing/starting point (but I think we'd be better off south anyway).

Would you please have any tips for us - regarding gear rental, time frame, itineraries and specific boat/companies recommendations?
Thank you!

What you are describing and want isn't basic " or "non-luxury," you actually need high end operation to meet your needs. Luxury or high end have different meanings and expectations in different parts of the world. In Egypt you need/require high end.

indeed you are asking for top of the line ! get in touch with Pharaoh Dive Club - Roots, they are Brits based in El Quseir, I have been diving with them since the beginning never done LOB, they do them once in a while ask them,

diving with them over the years in day trips from shore I have seen "everything", best one the dugong

Why do you think these are high-end demands and what does that actually mean?

Hi, Asanoth.

A few thoughts and I hope they are useful to you:

1. yes, you will absolutely need a high-end liveaboard for the Egyptian Red Sea based on some of your requirements (special diet, hopefully no Russians, rental gear in very good nick, as many dives as possible): try Agressor Fleet, Omneia Fleet, SeaWolf fleet, 7 Seas and MY Red Sea Explorer. Expect many German-speaking divers but they are generally proficient in English. High-end does not mean luxury. Many Egyptian liveaboard boats are VERY basic, even if kept in good condition.

2. aim to depart from Hurghada and aim for a "North and Brothers" route, which will provide some reefs, some wrecks (incl. Thistlegorm) and the possibility of sharks at The Brothers. Nothing is guaranteed, though. Make sure you manage your expectations. Blue-spotted stingrays are ubiquitous and this might quench your thirst for cartilaginous fish.

3. good luck getting a night dive every day; no night diving is allowed in the Marine Parks

4. I've never ever heard of crew stealing stuff from passengers on an Egyptian liveaboard; I'm not saying it can't happen, but I'm pretty sure it's very rare

5. length of dives is often 60 minutes max, but this varies from boat to boat: some are flexible, other less so, others may not even mention it, others may expect you to follow the guide, in other cases the guide may not even be in the water with you ...

6. get Nitrox certified if you are not

7. be prepared for some stuff not to turn out as you had planned or hoped for: WIFI may not work at all or some of the time, your transfer to the boat may be delayed, they may only have one gas analyser for the whole boat, the zodiac may not have a ladder, etc, etc.

Enjoy!

Thank you for your specific answer.

1. I did not say no Russians, I said "Russian-filled", I simply do not want to have a vacation with a detached office of a propaganda bureau (not that all Russians are like that, but lets keep the risks down). I do not also need all rental gear in a very good nick, I simply do not want to drown - worn down wetsuit does not matter, while the air gear should, of course, be in a safety consciouss condition. I would like to fit below 1000 € pp including gear rental. Red Sea Explorer, for example, charges gear by day, which makes it quite expensive. Of course, price per dive is what is important to me in the end, between 800 € 24 dives and 1000 € 30 dives I will choose 30 dives. But that is, honestly, the only "extra" I am willing to put extra significant money on.

2. I did not exactly mean blue spotted rays when talking about cartilaginous fish... We would like to improve our chances to see hammerheads, M. bistrosis and possibly some other non-reef shark species. Eagle rays etc. are of course welcome as well. On the other hand, in another topic I found something about BDE being about "hanging for 20 minutes in the blue and waiting for a shark to show up" - I can imagine having a few dives like that, but I would not enjoy doing this 10 or 15 times in a row - even if a shark does show up. North and Brothers seems way too wrecky.

6. I do not think we will manage to do this before we go: Is it essential (to the extent that we might be better off going elsewhere to dive)?

7. I spent a better part of this year in south-east and southern Asia, I am well accustomed to things not working out :D . The things you mentioned are of nearly zero priority to me, again, I simply do not want to drown, or come close to that, I do not need much comfort (if the price reflects that).

Thank you.

2. aim to depart from Hurghada and aim for a "North and Brothers" route

3. good luck getting a night dive every day; no night diving is allowed in the Marine Parks
Having just done a "North and Wrecks" route we got a night dive every day so it's possible, if spending one night in "Brothers" and night dive is not allowed there it's still a pretty good amount, of course depends on the route.

6. I do not think we will manage to do this before we go: Is it essential (to the extent that we might be better off going elsewhere to dive)?
You can do it on just about any boat that have nitrox, it's a short theory course.
It's only essential to the point that you want to keep your dives as long as possible, even with nitrox you can get very close to decompression doing 4 dives a day for few days in a row.

I thought there were 4 or so dives on a nitrox course? At least in IANTD they seem to be...?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom