Regina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crazy Fingers

Contributor
Reaction score
SABoyce:
Wreck of the Regina AKA The Sugar Barge
Dive Spot: Bradenton Beach, FL

Type of diving: Shore dive

Directions: Mapquest Map
I-75 exit 220 - SR-64 West to Bradenton. SR-64 becomes Manatee Avenue.
Continue West on Manatee Avenue/SR-64 all the way through Bradenton toward Anna Maria Island/Holmes Beach.
Once you've gotten onto Anna Maria Island (you will pass Kingfish Boat Ramp located on the North side of Manatee Avenue), turn LEFT onto East Bay Drive, heading South approximately 2 miles.
Look for the Gulf Drive Cafe on the West side of Gulf Drive - there is a white buoy off the beach just south of the restaurant marking the main section of the wreck.

What to expect at the dive site: The partially buried remains of Regina sit in about 20 feet of water. The wreckage is situated approximately 75 yards off Bradenton Beach at coordinates 27° 28.135' N latitude and 82° 42.129' W longitude. The bow of Regina is pointed north and the wreck lies roughly on a north/south axis parallel with the shoreline. On my last dive there, I saw lots of baitfish, some Stone Crabs, and a couple Grouper & Cobia. Jew Fish have been spotted by previous divers. DON'T FORGET YOUR DIVE FLAG!!! Also, lots of small stingrays in the shallows, so make sure you shuffle your feet when entering the water.

Where to park: If you want to grab something to eat before you dive, you can park in the Gulf Drive Cafe parking lot, but make sure you let them know you're going to dive when you finish eating, as they will tow. Otherwise, park across the street at Seatrek Divers Dive Shop - 105 7th Street North; Bradenton Beach, FL 34217; (941) 779-1506

Amenities: Typical dive shop - rental gear & air fills, but I'm not sure if they have Nitrox (which isn't necessary for the dive.) Very nice people - ask for Lorraine.

Pros and Cons: Great dive for newbs, as depths are no greater than 20'. Easy swim from beach to site - little, if any current. Visibility is rarely better than 15', but the price is right!

Most recent date visited: August 2004

Not trying to be offensive, but there is NO WAY that this is a good dive site to recommend. I was there a few weeks ago and it was one of the most disappointing dives ever. Vis started around 10' (which I hear actually isn't too bad for the area) and dropped to around 5' with the low tide. The remains of the ship were not some huge behemoth like I was expecting, but just a rusty clump about the size of a large van. I was very disappointed.

Note: I moved this from the Insider Information thread. The intended purpose of the thread is to create an informative location to learn more about possible dive sites for people to visit or explore. Please keep comments or ratings for dive locations in the general open forum. :D

Regarding this dive, I believe that it is somewhat dependant on the year and how much sand has shifted back and forth. It doesn't sound like much of a dive if your expecting to come up on a boat and you find...er.. what amounts to a crushed car in mass.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom