Reg Hose Length

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[

Genesis, is'nt such a short hose on the backup reg. not a good idea. What if your primary fails, you're now on your backup and you have to donate? An unlikely scenario, but not impossible,

with finger tight second stage connections making the second stages interchangable that provides 4 first stages and 4 second stages [ not counting stage bottles] that can be switched around under water in an emergency .As long as air holds out there should be no reason a buddy team can't make it back.Unlike the typical open water rig where one problem renders the entire outfit useless.
Joens

Using the ATX200 on doubles, I prefer the 24" hose, because with the way I have the hoses routed, the hose is vertical on a downward facing port, and has to make a right angled curve to come over my left shoulder, and so has further to travel. On my original singles rig, I used a DST first stage, which allowed the backup hose to be horizontal on a port already facing the direction of my shoulder, so 22" worked fine for that.

I find that the 24" hose on either configuration lets me turn my head further left without restriction though.

Sorry for the botched quote job I am new here and have not figured everything out yet.
joens

the dive is over.

My buddy and I have three second stages left. We will ascend immediately.

A double failure will make things very uncomfortable, but not impossible.

bengiddings,

So I'm not sure what your objection to the long hose is, in terms of not being able to donate

None, my objection is to a backup regulator hose so short, as described in the quote in my previous post, that it prevents that regulator from being shared.

The possibility is so slight that it would only add complexity to solve. Having the bungeed backup on a longer hose defeats the purpose of streamlining, reducing entanglement hazard, and having the backup available for immediate use by the wearer. These advantages far outweigh the disadvantage of not being able to donate it.

We agree on the miniscule possibility of the scenario where primary reg, goes out, and during the process of aborting the dive the need to donate arises. However, the solution of adding at least a few inches to the hose so that it can be shared safely presents only a very minor problem to solve.

From my understanding, the reason for donating the reg in your mouth as opposed to your backup is due to the advantages for the out of air diver, who will get a reg known to be functioning, and outweigh the donor's slight disadvantages that are presented when he has to take a reg out of his mouth and replace with another of unknown operability. I understand necklace layout is to facilitate backup reg placement in mouth. Would a slightly longer hose affect this?

With respect to how you see the advantages presented by a slightly longer hose to a buddy (both buddies, since complications can be created that affect both) being outweighed by the wearers considerations, how do you reconcile on one hand, increasing your risk by donating your primary, and on the other hand, unwilling to take the lesser, minimal risk, presented by adding a few inches to your backup reg hose in the event its needed.

If this setup is not acceptable, is it? in an overhead environment, why is it acceptable for rec. diving when the results can be just as catastrophic?

I recognise everyone must choose what they perceive best. I'm just trying to understand the apparent contradiction presented by the generous act of sharing their primary air source with another, followed by the selfish act of refusing to share their secondary air source at all. When a minimal adjustment, a little longer hose, with minimal inconvenience and risk the wearer could provide better redundancy for both.

I took too long for the previous post. If you are prepared to exchange second stage connections or have other back up gas, you have more options.

But the question remains if you are willing to implement these other more inconvenient options, why not a simple one, of adding a few inches to your hose?

All I can offer you is the advantages of streamlining and reducing entanglement hazard, versus the miniscule chance that both divers are going to have their regs fail during an ascent on an aborted dive. I have tried the standard 29" hose that my Apeks regs came with for the bungeed backup, when I first moved to DIR diving, and was not happy with it. Sticks out too far over your shoulder, just like the normal recreational configuration, which we move away from, because of streamlining!

Of course there is nothing to stop you from trying it for yourself, and diving it that way if you prefer.

Stalemate!

Not for me, or you, unless you already considered all thats been discussed.

The reason that I like to enquire so much sometimes, is not to win an argument, but to bring to light as many points and perspectives as possible in order to thoroughly understand the subject and make an informed decision.

Wether my argument based on my current beliefs holds up to scrutiny or not, is secondary to the purpose of a greater understanding. I like to get all the odds on my side that I can.

Thanks to all, feel free to continue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom