Reg Hose Length

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

because of a primary second stage failure, you are making your way to your deco stop or exit. The dive is over!

C_C

C_C

If you have switched to your second because of a primary second stage failure, you are making your way to your deco stop or exit. The dive is over!

And if before the dive is over you need to donate?

I realize one can't be prepard for every eventuality. But this seems to me, to be a gear configuration that could potentially create a very dangerous situation, though unlikely. But it could be compensated for at minimal inconvinience.

Very interesting point about temp. Bob3. Do you know how much a 3ft, or 5ft, hose may warm up?

And if before the dive is over you need to donate?

A single tank, single first stage setup is an open water configuration in DIR, not to be used for deep, decompression, or overhead diving. Although the scenario you mention is highly unlikely (unless divers Joe and Moe have bad gas management and Moe runs out of air on the ascent, remembering that the dive has already been called because of the Joe's primary regulator failure), Joe and Moe should be able to make a controlled emergency ascent like you learn in open water training. They're not in an overhead environment, they have no decompression obligation, and it's an emergency.

Not that easy to make a controlled emergency ascent from the deeper recreation levels, much less safely.

What I'm trying to understand is related to this:
its on a very short hose and its probably a bad idea for them to grab THAT one, as it might not reach their mouth

This is a gear configuration somewhere between your buddy having a backup reg. or none, with respect to your ability to use it.

If his primary goes out, very unlikely, but with potential serious complications. Now he would be unable to share his remaining reg. with someone who may need it.

Do the potential complications, entanglement hazards, any others?, that a longer hose provides take precedence in overall safety considerations over the ability to deal with the less likely but real possiblity of not being able to donate air to your buddy?

Not for me unless someone can make a good case otherwise. There are ways to minimize hose entanglement.

A properly routed long hose does not constitute an entanglement hazard. I've had mine inside of shipwrecks, and thick kelp - first stages and tank valves have a much higher incidence of entanglement - my long hose has never been caught on anything. It hugs your torso, and sticks out from the side of your head much less than a standard manufacturer's hose supplied with most regulators. Kelp is brilliant for determining how streamlined your configuration is. Being a Californian diver, I'm sure you've dived in the stuff.

The long hose has nothing to do with what you're talking about - being able to donate the bungeed backup on a short hose to another diver.

So I'm not sure what your objection to the long hose is, in terms of not being able to donate.

Remember that if your primary has crapped out, and you've switched to your backup, the dive is over, and you're beginning ascent. What is the likelyhood that during the ascent (assuming safe ascent from max rec depth of 130', at 30fpm, takes 4 mins 20 seconds without a stop), that your partner is going to experience a situation where he/she requires a donated regulator? Lets say a CESA below 60' is not an option. So there is a 70' window of 2 minutes and 20 seconds (from 130' to 60') where your buddy is "at risk". I'll let you work out the odds of both divers having regulator failure on the same dive, within the same 2 minute 20 second window. I don't wear a helmet in case a meteor hits me in the head either. The possibility is so slight that it would only add complexity to solve. Having the bungeed backup on a longer hose defeats the purpose of streamlining, reducing entanglement hazard, and having the backup available for immediate use by the wearer. These advantages far outweigh the disadvantage of not being able to donate it.

remember in your BOW class when the instructor said whatever he/she said about buddy breathing...fill in the blank here...depending on what you were taught, this could be anything from face each other and donate the reg back and forth every three seconds while making your ascent... to we don't buddy breath anymore...dont worry about it...

In my NAUI rescue class, a substantial amount of time/effort was spent on just that...buddy breathing...not just simulation...add in a no mask drill and you have some task loading.

So..here is where I was going with this...all of my regular dive buddies know that in the event that the flies hit the westinghouse, and there is only one option...we buddy breath and make a controlled ascent.

Practice the skills that will save your bacon and forget about debating what could happen...save the discussion for the after dive debreifing with beer and nachos.

C_C

Scuba was discussing the use of the hogarthian short hose bungeed backup - the 22" or 24" hose is generally too short to be used for buddy breathing.

I will make the length of hose work. If it is long enough to reach my mouth, it is long enough to unbungee (take from around the neck) and buddy breath with.

The divers are going to be pretty close to each other, but it can be done.

Oh...and after posting the last post, I realized it sounded kinda flip...that was not intented.

Open discussion is a good thing. Practice is better.

C_C

Back
Top Bottom