Reg Hose Length

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not a great picture, but you can see the long hose running under the Halcyon pocket, then up across the Halcyon oval on the chest of his wetsuit...

Roak

THis is a sincere question.

When your out of air buddy frantically grabs the regulator out of your mouth, how do you unwrap it from your body?

roakey once bubbled...
Not a great picture, but you can see the long hose running under the Halcyon pocket, then up across the Halcyon oval on the chest of his wetsuit...

Roak

Usually you're horizontal or near horizontal in the water - the hose slips over the back over your head. In a more controlled situation you merely nod your head forward. There is no unwrapping involved - the hose just pulls away from your mouth.

as was noted, it just slips off the back of your head. Its NOT wrapped all the way around!

You can then deploy the rest (the part under the canister or pouch) as convenient.

If you're horizontal then it just comes right off. If you're vertical you just nod, which you will do anyway to pick up the backup bungied around your neck (if you set it up right you can do this without using either of your hands!)

With a diver that's properly trimmed (horizontal), the hose comes out from behind the head without even thinking about it. If you're vertical, a slight nod of the head and it comes off.

Talking a 7’ hose, this immediately gives the OOA diver about 4' of hose (far more than you'd get with a typical octo). If the diver is panicking, this gives you a fraction of a second more to get control of the diver before he hits the end of the hose and starts dragging you up. If he does hit the end of the hose, the length under the pocket will offer some protection from the hose being torn off the first stage and puts the hose where you can reach it, instead of the donating diver being dragged up from the first stage where you can’t reach it easily.

If, and once things calm down (if things need to calm down) and it appears that the OOA diver can manage their own ascent, with your right hand you can unloop the hose from beneath the pocket/canister. The longer hose will allow the OOA diver to relax because unlike a normal short octo, the hose won’t be tugging on their mouth, making them anxious about losing their gas supply again

Having optional elbowroom allows both divers to manage their ascents independently IF it’s appropriate.

Roak

You just GOTTA love a system. I did not read the previous two replies before posting mine, and all three are virtually identical!

Roak

Just gotta wade in on this one :) I really like a swivel. It eases the strain on the side of the mouth to an incredible degree. It really is less a point of failure than simply the crimp and bent hose is. Make sure you get a round version as opposed to the square one its a far better design. Now I am a new diver but 25 years of farming and working with hydraulic hoses and designing packaging equipment has taught me alot about stress on moving hoses. My Cherry packing equipment shakes rattles and rolls far more than a diver does and I trust a swivel much more than a bent hose any day and at far higher pressures. And if I have to put my life on the line and with a reg you do... I will swivel every time.
FWIW

Cherry once bubbled...
Just gotta wade in on this one :)
Cherry... something to think about... without a swivel when you hold the regulator hose and hand the second stage off to an out of air diver the second stage is presented in proper orientation and under control. If the second stage is on a swivel that will not be the case... it will dangle and swivel.

BTW... there really isn't as much strain on the LP hose going into the second stage as you might think... at least not one rigged up DIR style on a long hose... and I don't have any of the strain at the mouth that you refer to.

And now for my apologies... I just happened onto this thread through *new posts*... and I haven't read everything preceeding... so forgive me if this is off track.

FWIW

Pug I would agree on an octopus that no swivel is needed (or desired for the reasons you have given) primarily because one would not expect it to be used to any great extent or for extended periods of time. I guess the ideal would be to never have to use it. Since buddy breathing is a last resort one would not expect to take your second stage out of your mouth and give it away except if all else ( meaning your octopus or spare air too ) has failed. At that point the ability to swivel it 180 degress to face the buddy in the proper orientation may even be an advantage. My swivel while moveable doesnt dangle at all. For the primary reg used by the diver at all times a swivel will serve to allow the diver to streamline his rig to an even greater extent without any stress at all on his hoses. In tight areas like a cave or a wreck why have the extra X inches of the curved hose sticking out to the side to snag. In addition to the reduction of strain on the mouth. Just my 2 cents worth and FWIW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom