Reg Hose Length

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cherry once bubbled...
In tight areas like a cave or a wreck why have the extra X inches of the curved hose sticking out to the side to snag.
Cherry... there is another way.

The pictures you have in your mind of hoses sticking out to the side are the same ones I see in my nightmares... visions burned into my subconsciousness by perusing dive magazines like Scuba Diver and Rodales... and even though I don't think I am paying attention to the pictures... the subliminal message creeps in and does its damage to my psyche.

But as I said... there is another way... and it doesn't involve strained hoses or large curved loops reaching out to snag things.

Cherry once bubbled...
...one would not expect to take your second stage out of your mouth and give it away except if all else ( meaning your octopus or spare air too ) has failed.
On the contrary, donating from your mouth is the very FIRST thing you should do in an OOA situation. Rather than flogging the same deceased equine in this note, please see:

http://www.scubaboard.com/t10022/s.html

Reader's digest version: The recreational agencies are teaching you the absolute WORST response to an OOA situation.

Roak

roakey once bubbled...
You just GOTTA love a system. I did not read the previous two replies before posting mine, and all three are virtually identical!

Roak

Roak,
Jeeze, one would almost assume that if we had a system where everyones rig was very similar it could almost be safer huh?:D
There would be no grey areas when it came to diving, maybe we are onto something BIG here...........

I dive long-hose (7') with a bungied backup.

If I dive with someone who I don't usually dive with, I go over the fact that if they need air they should feel free to help themselves to the regulator that I have in my mouth. I will appreciate it if they ASK for it, and unless they come from behind I'll probably have it in my hand for them before they grab it, but in an emergency that is the one they want - and I fully expect they'll TAKE it if necessary. This is all explained before we get in the water - and I go over where THEIR regs are too.

The backup around my neck is mine. They are welcome to try to take that one if they WANT to do so, it WILL come off if pulled hard enough (the surgical tubing I use for the bungee will break) but its on a very short hose and its probably a bad idea for them to grab THAT one, as it might not reach their mouth.

I also test the backup on every dive - usually on the decent and often at the safety stop. This way I KNOW it works, since I checked it when I started the dive. That's a good thing, considering that its my backup! My backup is slightly-detuned, but not significantly so (R380.) Unfortunately it has a yellow purge - if I could find a black one I'd replace it, but so far I haven't found one... oh well.

I hate traditional octos. If I'm truly about to bug out I'm not going to grope around in someone's "golden triangle" - I'm gonna take the device that I see bubbling, whether you like it or not. In open water the Air2 is a rational choice - I trained with one of those, and it does work. But in any confined space they could be lethal.

If you dive a tradtional octo you ought to make sure YOU can get to it immediately and that YOU know where it is ALWAYS, and that it works, because the odds of someone being "nice" in a true emergency are somewhere between slim and none.

Ok I can see there is a reasonable amount of confusion on the octopus issue. I see that there are good arguments on both sides. Since my wife is my normal dive partner and if she runs out of air I am going to say "yes dear" and give her what ever she wants :) just like she requires on dry land. heheh I must admit your arguments on giving up the primary make complete sense and will be my practice from now on. I just got a new ATX 200 so I guess I am going to have to get a real good Octo eh if I am going to use it :D
But I will continue to use a swivel the strain issue and the compactness of form, and elimination of a potential stress point makes my day. The strain was much more evident on my Tx 20 than the new reg. Sucker must be 25% of the size. :) BTW what is a CTX 50 as opposed to a TX 50 ? ( probable Octo for my 200 using my old 20 on the rig now)

I guess I am going to have to delve deeper into the DIR concepts as my skills grow. BTW Pug you look anything like the camel on your post :)

Cherry once bubbled...
Ok I can see there is a reasonable amount of confusion on the octopus issue.

I must admit your arguments on giving up the primary make complete sense and will be my practice from now on.

I guess I am going to have to delve deeper into the DIR concepts as my skills grow. BTW Pug you look anything like the camel on your post :)
Yes indeed. :D

But if you are going to adopt the "donate the one your breathing" philosophy your going to have to take it a couple of steps further.

You will need a back up second stage and having in stuffed into your pocket or in a scum ball won't do... no siree.... you are going to need a necklaced backup.

And that regular length second stage hose isn't going to work too well for your wifey if you donate it so better get a long hose and learn how to carry and deploy it.

Uh huh.... yep... you are going to have to delve deeper into DIR :D

You will be assimilated.

:rolleyes: NOTE: THE ABOVE HAS BEEN GENERATED BY THE PUG ASSIMILATION COMPUTER PROGRAM.

UP, I love ya man, but some times you're just too predictable.:wink:

mike

What they are taking away my UW slinky and my magnetic chess set...man you want me to stick my hose where? err whats with the rubber gloves man get awayyyyyy ahhhhhh

I will study DIR i WILL STUDY dir i WIL i WILL I WLIL iLJKJFLKJDFJ

aSSIMILATION PROGRAM INITIATED............................

Genesis once bubbled...
The backup around my neck is mine. They are welcome to try to take that one if they WANT to do so, it WILL come off if pulled hard enough (the surgical tubing I use for the bungee will break) but its on a very short hose and its probably a bad idea for them to grab THAT one, as it might not reach their mouth.

Genesis, is'nt such a short hose on the backup reg. not a good idea. What if your primary fails, you're now on your backup and you have to donate? An unlikely scenario, but not impossible, which one can easily prepare for with a longer hose. Is this configuration DIR?

Inquiring minds want to know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom