Reef Sweep and Beach Cleanup June 12 '04

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scbababe:
It sure does!! down to the lipstick... :dazzler1:

Still, I do like your Avatar...

FLL Diver:
Can't wait to cut some pennies in half. :D

I vote for Pompano too. Call me crazy, but I just don't trust diving on half a shut down pier.

Marc
With all those shears its easy to shut off the other half of the pier too. Cut lines, oh I thought it was trash :crafty: .

--A

I've tested all the shears now.. so far everyone has cut pennies, quarters, and sheet metal! :wink:

KIDDING! The 4 boxes of shears are being packed into my dive box tonight! :D

The reef sweep and clean-up went GREAT! Thanks to the SCUBABOARD CONCH (with a K)-DIVERS! It has thrills and adventure (treasure!), pain (Rick's finger, Rebecca's ankle) and sorrow (for those who didn't make it), Victory and success, for those who did!...

So, everyone watch for the reef sweep report coming to a theater and thread near you!

Thanks to all the folks from FL Conch Divers! I had a great time and loved meeting you all. Looking forward to lots of diving with you.

Tried to upload the photos but this site didn't like the size - I will post a link to my website and post them there instead. Let you know when I get the page done.

As promised - the recipe follows
I don't measure things and this recipe is foolproof as long as you have the right ingredients.

Renee's Mango Salsa -

1/2 large cucumber - peeled
a small bunch of cilantro leaves
lime juice
1 - 2 jalepenos (depending on how big they are and how hot you want it)
Few slices of fresh ginger - leave out if you don't have fresh
1 tomato
Green onions
2 large sweet mangos (Find a neighbor with a mango tree! The grocery store mangos won't taste the same.)

Either finely chop by hand, mix together and let sit for at least 4 hours - or - if chopping with a food processor add the mangos at the end so they don't break down too much.

I also had a good time meeting everyone and look forward to more get-to-gethers to dive/visit/eat with you all. I had to leave earlier than planned as friends had to be picked up at Port Everglades, so missed out on the after cleanup party.

Renee, thanks for the recipe I can't wait to make it. I'm looking forward to seeing your photos.

Thanks again everyone.

Zuzanne

Trip Report
Gosh darn, it was an awesome day! The weather was perfect, seas awesome and vis really good in the beginning, until it got stirred up, and even then it wasn't that bad!
For those that weren't in attendance, OceanWatch collected 3209lbs of trash! About half of the divers at the site were from ScubaBoard! We picked up monofiliment line, sinkers, knives, fishing poles, sinkers, batteries, lighters, sinkers, monofiliment line.
DennisS and I hung out under the pier after everybody left, setteling down on the bottom to watch the fish. Lots and lots of the big ole snook setteled down, the lookdowns came close enough to make eye contact, and the smaller fish were everywhere! In one sweep from left to right I could see close to a thousand fish! On the way in, I spotted a pipefish and also a small seahorse that lost its way. Awesome dive, felt good to give back and do something I enjoy so much at the same time. Hermit Crab did her job picking up straws and cigarette butts off the beach.

Off to the Villamar. Brian brought a canopy which was perfect for sitting under. The pool was nice and the food excellent. Thanks to all who brought themselves and food to make this a memorable event.

Later on into the evening, after aborting the afternoon dive, C & KBulla, NovaFury, WildBill and I did a night dive off of 8th street. Water was calm, no current and it was quiet. We saw the usual critters on a night dive. Awesome!

HUGE THANKS goes to Marc for suggesting a SB gettogether way back on page 1, Colin for finding Villamar, and everybody else for once again proving SB divers are the best! I am not even gonna mention names cause I will forget somebody unintentionally and don't want to do that! So THANKS everybody!

Jenny has said it all. It great meeting new folks as well as catching up with some old buddies who I haven't seen in a while and hanging with the regulars. It was a great dive, and I logged my personal longest dive of 88 minutes. I'm sure it would have been longer if I hadn't worked so hard picking up heavy junk off the bottom. :wink:

The more I dive the more I notice all the little stuff that in the past I would just passed over while moaning there's no life around. Ton's of juvenile, small fish and other well hidden critters all over the rubble and reef.

Thanks to the folks who hosted us at their hotel for the after the clean up party. And to all those who provide goodies. And special thanks to Colin who did the grilling.

Same time next year?

Marc

:arrr: Ahoy there neoprene Cowboys and Cowgirls! What can I say about this weekend that Jenny hasnt already said... so I'll do some of my own recognition and big THANK YOU's" to some folks for making this a wonderful weekend.

To Wildbill & his wife and to Murphy & BaitedStorm - the comradery at the hotel, the hours chatting out in the courtyard of the villa, and graciously offering to watch Xavier on numerous occiaisions - even when Xavier invited himself in to visit - a HUGE THANKYOU for such open armed friendship. It was most obvious just how much of an impact all of you had on him when Vickie said good bye to Xavier and Kris at Divers Outlet and he put out his pouty lip. To Wildbills son and Jenny's Hermitcrab - You two were wonderful watchers and playmates, thank you so much for playing with our little guy!

Wildbill, novafury - Thank you both for being early risers to go down to the pier and get ourselves organized. Brian, without your Canopy, OceanWatch would have had a really interesting time doing their sign up and coordination of the event. It's a shame they ran off with hardly a thank you and had no t-shirt sponsors (or even any for sale where we were), lets hope that our combined efforts with Kayuba at this location this year help rack in the numbers that entice sponsors to make donations that keep these events happening.

To all the divers that showed up and cleaned - What an incredible showing! We had more divers than there were kayacks and from all that I could see under water, there was incredible team oriented effort. Divers working together to removed knarls of line, piles of lead, lift a rusty lawn chair, find old batteries... and even the nice new ankle sock. Come to think of it, I should have kept the sock and started my own collection of missing socks like my dryer does! Anyway, back on track... Even if Ocean Watch didnt express it to well, I will say it from my own heart - Thank you for being there and showing such comradary and participating! As a biproduct of our efforts, we got to dive where very few divers have ever been before and we got to see an incredible little ecosystem in a way that others on the pier could only hope to know about!

Thanks for the grill kudos Mark.. anytime, I love to grill cook! How about those SALSABURGERS!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom