Redesigning AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fact: if a new diver takes the NAUI Scuba Diver Course, the NAUI Advanced Scuba Diver Course, and NAUI Rescue, he/she will learn enough to dive safely by any reasonable standard. The new diver needs to find an instructor who teaches regularly, and take that instruction in an area where he/she will do most of their diving

Does anyone have statistics on how many NEW divers are trained each year, and if so, is that also arranged geographically? I am talking all agencies.

Yes, I really didn't want to start the endless discussion of the shortcomings of current OW training or diver skills. I did want to talk about whether, within the framework of the existing AOW classes, it would be possible to build a class that would help remedy some of the shortcomings and actually deliver content. I hope that some instructors may have read this thread and gotten some ideas about how to improve classes, and some divers may have come up with some questions to ask, or suggestions to make about their own AOW classes, when they sign up for them.

You have two classes, one is longer and costs more money yet the shorter and cheaper provides what is needed according to the AGENCY and results in the EXACT SAME CREDENTIAL! For all intents and purposes, they ARE the same product.

Sadly, this isn't confined to OW classes. (She says, having just revisited the argument with her husband about WHY she is taking Cave 1 when she's already got a TDI intro card . . . :()

I think, somewhere on ScubaBoard there needs to be a balance ... I'd like to see one single thread about the merits of training that didn't turn into a two-man bashfest ... something I saw coming as soon as Lynne posted this thread. Wouldn't it have been wonderful to instead have seen a CONSTRUCTIVE conversation about how it could be approached differently. That's what this thread was supposed to be about, after all.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I gave my best answer but the existing AOW course does EXACTLY what it was designed to do. Why would you change it? The first step in system engineering is to document the existing system.

The $64 question that woulod get the ball rolling here is... What was the AOW course designed to do?

Fact: if a new diver takes the NAUI Scuba Diver Course, the NAUI Advanced Scuba Diver Course, and NAUI Rescue, he/she will learn enough to dive safely by any reasonable standard.

All scuba diving is statistically "safe".
The new diver needs to find an instructor who teaches regularly, and take that instruction in an area where he/she will do most of their diving

By the criteria you set "safely by any reasonable standard" the new diver can get whatever cert is offered at the closest shop or on their vacation cruise or dive with no formal training at all and do just fine because they probably won't get hurt.

Sadly, this isn't confined to OW classes. (She says, having just revisited the argument with her husband about WHY she is taking Cave 1 when she's already got a TDI intro card . . . :()

Hmmm, Id be interested in hearing more.

Mike,

You're looking at this through experienced eyes. The new diver needs instruction to dive safely within the complete definition of recreational diving. A recently certified Open Water Diver is a beginner. The whole point of Open Water certification is to get the diver into the water unsupervised. The point of AOW is to expand the unsupervised diving experience of the newly certified diver; and for the diver with some experience, educationally expand on lessons learned.

The $64 question that woulod get the ball rolling here is... What was the AOW course designed to do?
But that wasn't the question at all.

The question was if you could design the course, how would you design it.

Those are very different topics ...

... Bob (Grateful DIver)

Bob/Mike-
You guys have been chasing each others' tails for the last 50 posts or so. Is there any value in continuing this?

Tom

Bob/Mike-
You guys have been chasing each others' tails for the last 50 posts or so. Is there any value in continuing this?

Tom

He who speaks last wins???

Bob/Mike-

Tom
Tom ... Mike and I have been "disagreeing" on this subject for the past six years. In truth, I agree with a lot of his sentiments ... I just have a different perspective on what to do about it.

But no ... there's really no point in continuing it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom