Rebreather Worth It or Not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamaicanMon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

I have just finished doing some reading on mixed gases, nitrox and rebreathers and decided I wanted some more information (my books didn't answer all my questions...actually gave me more questions).

I have noticed in a few posts here and there that several people seem to be using a rebreather for recreational diving. I was wondering for recreational divers is there much benefit to using a rebreather?

- Why would one move to a rebreather anyway? (I can understand if your doing photography or videos, but is that the only reason?)
- Are there still depth limitations on rebreathers? (I read about older oxygen CCRs)
- Don't they Just add more complication to life and increase the chances of ending up on your death bed sooner??

Truth is as I read I got caught up in the oooo and ahhhh after reading about rebreathers and i'd love to know...apart from the cool factor is there anything else...is it okay to get into a rebreather for the cool factor (if one should have the money, which I dont at the moment but my curiosity has been teased).

Thanks in advance guys!!!

Hi All,

I have just finished doing some reading on mixed gases, nitrox and rebreathers and decided I wanted some more information (my books didn't answer all my questions...actually gave me more questions).

I have noticed in a few posts here and there that several people seem to be using a rebreather for recreational diving. I was wondering for recreational divers is there much benefit to using a rebreather?

- Why would one move to a rebreather anyway? (I can understand if your doing photography or videos, but is that the only reason?)
- Are there still depth limitations on rebreathers? (I read about older oxygen CCRs)
- Don't they Just add more complication to life and increase the chances of ending up on your death bed sooner??

Truth is as I read I got caught up in the oooo and ahhhh after reading about rebreathers and i'd love to know...apart from the cool factor is there anything else...is it okay to get into a rebreather for the cool factor (if one should have the money, which I dont at the moment but my curiosity has been teased).

Thanks in advance guys!!!

I would say, if you don't know for sure you need one you probably don't.
Diving a RB is a lot more involved than OC and require a certain level of commitment. Without it you can definately die. There are many benefits and although can be used for diving within recreational limits if that is the extent of your diving you probably don't need one.

Hi All,

If you're diving a RB, then you're not recreational diving, you're technical diving. If what your talking about is depths, yes there is benefit. Say 3 hrs @ 60ft NDL. If you're a photographer easier interaction with marine life. ETC

Hi All,

Not sure about the cool factor, I just wanted one, on vacation one time in the Caribbean, met an instructor, took the course, and bought it. Like I said main reason for me is that I wanted one, thought it is the way diving is headed. Plus the fact that dbl 95's were starting to take a toll on my back.

I don't need one either, but I want one. Been interested in it for over 5 years now...so i finally got one and am getting trained in a few weeks.

Do your research, find out the benefits and weigh it towards the risks. Try and take a hard look at how you are as a person and as a diver....I believe this is important when making this kind of decision. If you just like to strap on a tank with little to no thought about much else then you prolly dont want to get into this.

If you can accept the added maintenance, checks, responsibility, and just dedication to your training..then well if just may suit you.

p.s....dont let anyone tell you different. Lot of egos in this..people do some serious dives on these things and think nobody has any business doing bimble 60ft dives with them. It's a personal choice.

Hope this helps.

J

Rebreathers are great for recreational diving assuming that you have the commitment to use one in a safe manner. Remember that needs and wants are very different and both are important. Everyone could dive recreational or tec with tanks but some choose a rebreather because they are fun, cool and helpful for their diving. I dive 12 months a year and the vast majority of those are on a rebreather and within recreational limits. I like it for photography the most but I can spend hours at any depth without the weight of doubles and sling bottles. I've been down that road and overall, my rebreather replaces tons of gear and tanks for about the same cost. And just try to travel on a plane with that much gear today.

As far as depth limits, if you get a modern fully closed curcuit rebreather like the Inspiration, Evolution or any of the other quality rebreathers on the market today, no, depth won't be your issue, it will be your TRAINING. A rebreather is nothing more than a underwater anesthesia machine or nitrox mixing machine that gives you the best oxygen mix at whatever depth you choose on the fly. Quality training is the magic that opens up deeper depths for you.

Do they complicate a diving life.....yes, but for me, they make up for it many times over. They require commitment to quality TRAINING and practice and more practice until its second nature which is another excuse to go diving.

Feel free to contact me if I can help answer questions.

Hi All,

Thanks for the reply! I have to admit that this wasn't quite I had anticipated. Personally I've always wanted to try a Rebreather but haven't had the chance. I had also made the assumption that it was something that wasn't for me but in all fairness I haven't even tried.

Maybe what Ill do is see if I can find an instructor and talk to them and see what the best way to go is.

Hi All,

Thanks for the reply! I have to admit that this wasn't quite I had anticipated. Personally I've always wanted to try a Rebreather but haven't had the chance. I had also made the assumption that it was something that wasn't for me but in all fairness I haven't even tried.

Maybe what Ill do is see if I can find an instructor and talk to them and see what the best way to go is.

Where in Canada are you located. We run RB tryouts in Nanaimo occasionally

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom