Rebreather with a long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a rebreather diver, once off the loop you are on to independent stage cylinders. If you are doing 'team' bailout i.e. a very deep dive or a cave dive where each individual can't carry enough gas to individually bailout at the deepest(furthest) part of the dive and return to the surface with what they are carrying. Then you hand off cylinders to a member of the team when each cylinder reaches the 50% point and are handed a replacement.

The idea of mixing OC and CC divers on a dive that would require a long hose as an option is flawed. I am happy for someone to convince me that there is an advantage, but I cant see one as it stands.

Works in theory, 0 vis? Passage too tight to hand off..... I have dove in mixed teams (OC & CC). The OC diver takes some bailout & the CCR diver can also help out, if needed. It is not necessarily flawed,... unless you want it to be.

I route my longhose the same way I do with OC doubles. Standard issue hogarthian style.

While unlikely, I think there's value in being able to share gas no matter what. If your teammate has bad gas sharing is now your only option. Additionally (and probably more likely) is that a co2 issue could result in you or your buddy exhausting your bailout. Again, being able to share sure would be helpful in that situation.

To me, keeping the long hose/ bungeed backup (in addition to a BOV) gives me options and doesn't cause any problems.

I agree. It just seems clunky to have the long hose looped around the neck and clipped off. That means I have to go to my BOV, then come off the loop, unclip the long hose, unloop the long hose, donate, and then get back on the loop.

Do you leave the long hose clipped off?

I agree. It just seems clunky to have the long hose looped around the neck and clipped off. That means I have to go to my BOV, then come off the loop, unclip the long hose, unloop the long hose, donate, and then get back on the loop.

Do you leave the long hose clipped off?
Yea.

The thing is that with a well configured rebreather and oog situation isn't something that sneaks up on you. Your buddy has his bailout gas to burn through.

Yea.

The thing is that with a well configured rebreather and oog situation isn't something that sneaks up on you. Your buddy has his bailout gas to burn through.

One of the advantages of diving an RB80 type of setup with back-mounted bailout. It's not a compact rig, but it's well-designed for the purpose.

If using small onboard tanks, my offboard bailout has a long hose. Even a 3L should last long enough even in a significant CO2 hit to get a real 2nd stage in your mouth coming off the loop, and the benefits of a long hose outweigh any shortcomings. With large cylinders on my Pelagian, I don't even carry offboard bailout for recreational dives. A 7L or 8.5L will easily get you to the surface even with a CO2 hit from recreational depths within NDL's.

One of the advantages of diving an RB80 type of setup with back-mounted bailout. It's not a compact rig, but it's well-designed for the purpose.

If using small onboard tanks, my offboard bailout has a long hose. Even a 3L should last long enough even in a significant CO2 hit to get a real 2nd stage in your mouth coming off the loop, and the benefits of a long hose outweigh any shortcomings. With large cylinders on my Pelagian, I don't even carry offboard bailout for recreational dives. A 7L or 8.5L will easily get you to the surface even with a CO2 hit from recreational depths within NDL's.

I'm intrigued by the GUE JJ setup, have been watching their video series. I guess I should just dive it for a while as is, but maybe someday...

One of my regular GUE team mates dives a GUE configured JJ. When diving with OC team mates his long hose is routed exactly like back mount doubles. When it goes around his neck it is on top of his loop, so he can donate quickly. He told me that when they dive with an all JJ team, they can route it under the loop. Full disclosure, I am not JJ certified.

One of my regular GUE team mates dives a GUE configured JJ. When diving with OC team mates his long hose is routed exactly like back mount doubles. When it goes around his neck it is on top of his loop, so he can donate quickly. He told me that when they dive with an all JJ team, they can route it under the loop. Full disclosure, I am not JJ certified.

Do they have a BOV?

With large cylinders on my Pelagian, I don't even carry offboard bailout for recreational dives. A 7L or 8.5L will easily get you to the surface even with a CO2 hit from recreational depths within NDL's.

I'm looking to do the same with a Pelagian. Did you find an instructor to teach that config or did you just change after the first module? I'm looking at LP50s for 200ft or less and LP85s for 300ft - 200ft. And carrying 50% and O2 like normal.

I guess long hose over the loop would be faster, but don't know if that messes with the way the loop floats or would cause additional jaw fatigue.

I also see value in keeping the long hose because if I have to shut the post feeding the ADV down then my BOV is gone too. Still having a long hose means I can still breath my backgas.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom