Rebreather with a long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael Guerrero

Contributor
Reaction score
OK, so let me start off by saying that if you think it's a dumb or useless idea to have a long hose on your rebreather, then please feel free to read this thread but please refrain from posting your opinion :).

If you're going to keep the long hose on your rebreather (CCR or SCR) do you loop the long hose around your neck like the UTD guys seem to teach, or do you just tuck it into your belt and clip it off on your right d-ring?

If anyone has any pictures of their config that would be great, thanks.

I keep it on my necklace and wrap the extra hose on my bailout tank.

Well, let's assume you carry your bailout on your back and your O2/deco gas is offboard.

How does it work to have a long hose on a necklace? How do you donate it if it is attached to your neck? Do you come off the loop for that?

For someone so vastly experienced in all things diving as to become an instructor without any instructor training necessary there seem to be some minor gaps in knowledge about there being whole other messageboards where one might get more fully informed opinions on subjects such as this.

Lol. I like scubaboard.

And I think you are attributing things to me that I never attributed to myself. Do you think this is a question an OW scuba instructor could answer or something covered in an IDC for OW instructors?

I'd prefer to keep the threads separate if you don't mind Oya. Unless you had something productive to contribute to this one?

Thanks,
Mike

So I think I'm envisioning a cave diving setup where the backup reg is on a short hose with a necklace, and the long hose tucks under your can light, wraps around your body and neck, and is clipped off to your right shoulder d-ring. Standard Hogarthian setup.

UTD (an agency I don't have any certification through, nor one I'm advocating for) shows their configuration as keeping the same setup (not sure about the short hose backup) and when you need to donate, you come off the loop and unwrap the long hose. This seems unnecessarily convoluted to me and if you forget to go to your BOV/DSV, you could get water in your loop.

I think RB80 configs used in cave diving also incorporate the long hose. So, I'm curious, if you use a Hogarthian-esque setup on your rebreather, how do you manage the long hose. Do you wrap it around your neck like UTD suggests? Do you just tuck it in your belt and clip off on your d-ring? Or something else like stow it on the tank?

Hey Mike, it's a good question......I'm a UTD instructor (not the MX rebreather) and I don't know and honestly never thought about it until now.......off to see what I can find out.......

Ok, just wanted to confirm, yes, it's worn around the neck, consistent with all other BM and SM gear. Even when the MX CCR is configured for SM, it's still routed around the neck.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom