Reasons NOT to Use a Computer for a New Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A dive computer is a tool,and just like any other tool, it can be a great convenience ,or you can hurt yourself with it.

Assuming you have some common sense when it comes to diving, the only valid reason not to use one for recreational diving would be cost. IMHO.

I almost forgot to mention I have been on more than one boat that required computers to splash. Fortunately, they had a bucket of pucks for those that hadn't brought one. Personally, I'd rather bring a computer I am familiar with than risk having to either miss dives or use a strange computer in order to dive.

You can still plan some dives with tables if you like, even if you use a computer from the start.
That's what I do (almost) every time. Planning the dive with a table, diving the plan with my computer.

---------- Post added October 20th, 2013 at 06:21 AM ----------

In my area just doing simple beach dives, there is no reason to use a computer, tables work fine. [...]

Doing boat dives out deep then yeah I think a computer would be nice.
I think you've got it bass-ackwards here. While a boat dive may be a multilevel dive, a shore dive will be a multilevel dive. The computer will credit you the shallower parts of your multilevel dive, the tables won't. So unless you dive so shallow and so long that you're guaranteed to be gas limited and not NDL limited, a computer will give you a longer bottom time than a table.

I think new divers SHOULD use computers. When I got certified, I quickly discovered that the terrain-based shore diving we do here didn't fit in the tables at all; if I wanted to dive tables, I was hardly going to dive, unless I puddled around in the shallows.

The big danger of computers, though, is that, added to the utter lack of gas management taught at the OW level, they help create a diver who is purely reactive. You can jump in the water with a tank on your back and a computer on your wrist and no plan at all, intending to end the dive when your pressure gauge or wrist gauge tells you you have to; sometimes it's an unpleasant experience to discover the conditions you are in when one of those limits is hit.

I think diver training ought to include more planning and forethought, but if you have done your homework, a computer is a good gadget for a recreational diver to have. Unlike the distracted and sometimes stressed novice diver, the computer will not forget how deep you went or how long you stayed there :)

I remember about 12 years ago there was a huge debate over tables vs computers....
The debate is still raging :D

....My thinking has gone 180 since this thread started.
I'm getting a computer, yay!....
Good decision. Make sure that, whatever model you end up purchasing, you properly learn how to use it.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Wrong debate.

The using a computer debate was long ago resolved as YES.

The not using a computer for new divers is the topic of the thread.

I believe that new (ALL) divers should develop the skill of planning their NDL prior to splashing. Regardless of the use of tables or computers.

This thread is not about commuters versus tables, or computers are bad for noobs.

So far we have 2 ideas:
- computers are expensive
- tables force pre planning of NDLs

Any other ideas?

I think you've got it bass-ackwards here. While a boat dive may be a multilevel dive, a shore dive will be a multilevel dive. The computer will credit you the shallower parts of your multilevel dive, the tables won't. So unless you dive so shallow and so long that you're guaranteed to be gas limited and not NDL limited, a computer will give you a longer bottom time than a table.
We are limited by gas supply, we never get close to NDL's.

Use the tool that you prefer; go with the one that you are comfortable using.
Tables and computers have both been doing the job for many divers, over many years.

I don't think there is a wrong choice here.

Cheers,
Mitch

I think the idea is to force new divers to learn how to plan dives and to dive the plan, also to monitor their nitrogen buildup and offgassing without the aid of a computer. The CSN clock & the beginnings of decompression theory are no where near as fun & easy as most stuff you learn in diving 101 so may get "bleeped" over and forgotten ASAP if that's an option. Having a computer makes it easy learn the laziness of a dive plan being "let's go about as deep as usual for about as long as usual" and trusting the computer to guide you through anything unexpected. Bad habits aren't easily broken, esp. when the bad habit is the easy road.

That said, adults don't respond well to being being pushed around overly much & a computer ban is obviously unusual. Also, if the student plans to use a computer for diving it's very much preferable that he/she learns to do so properly as a part of their diving instruction. The instructor just needs to take the time and effort to assure that the dives are planned properly and the student gains a healthy respect for planning each dive and diving the dive that was planned.

I use 2 computers for tech dives. Now that a computer is available for almost the same price as a bottom timer I can't see the sense in buying just a bottom timer. The extra is always in my kit and I love having it just in case I or someone else needs one. Heck, it's worth the price just to see some young student with just a dive timer get such a big kick out of seeing the temp & dive profiles etc.

1x dive watch = $75
1x depth gauge = $75
1x Air table = $20
1x EANx 32 = $7
1x EANx 36 = $7

Total= $185 ...............
So far we have 2 ideas:
- computers are expensive
- tables force pre planning of NDLs

....and we're back to 1.

1x Mares Puck = $170

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/