Reasons NOT to Use a Computer for a New Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check your math, might want to use a calculator?:D
1x dive watch = $75
1x depth gauge = $75
1x Air table = $20
1x EANx 32 = $7
1x EANx 36 = $7

Total= $185 ...............

....and we're back to 1.

1x Mares Puck = $170

When I think about the price of the options I was thinking that the reg set most beginner divers would rent already has a depth gauge on the console. Also that tables are free, or included in the student"s dive class supplies. So all a student really needs is a timer, like the timer ring on a dive-capable watch.
As a student diver 6 yrs ago I bought a dive watch from Lidl for 12 euros. I also copied my tables from the Internet and just wrapped the printed paper in sandwich wrap.
So yeah, my 1st computer was a big expense relative to that 12 euros.

I did and still would still buy a computer ASAP though just because the extra depth gauge is worthwhile, the timer is a whole lot nicer and the temp is fun to know.

Sure, for a price or as part of the package.
When I think about the price of the options I was thinking that the reg set gfor most brginner divets has a depth guage on the console

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

1x dive watch = $75
1x depth gauge = $75
1x Air table = $20
1x EANx 32 = $7
1x EANx 36 = $7

Total= $185 ...............

....and we're back to 1.

1x Mares Puck = $170

Casio g shock at walmart good to 200 m $40.00
Used depth gauge ebay - another 50.00 max
Navy air tables from ths US Navy dive manual - free
Nitrox tables from same source - free
Total 90.00

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

And then you get 30% either because that is what they bank or you want to keep your po2 below 1.3 and it is a deeper dive.

I did not use a computer for my first 20 dives (I only have 38 but it's my first year diving). I didn't get one right off due to cost. BUT I found not having one had some advantages. I used my tables but dove with other that were using computers. It forced me to be a more vocal buddy than I may have been otherwise --"Sorry but my tables say to end the dive after X mins" It made me responsible for planning MY dive and doing that dive. Fortunately my buddies were understanding and allowed me the extra minutes to plan, recheck, plan again. It also gave me time to watch others and see which computer might suit me. The first one I thought I wanted is not the one I ended up getting. I'm sure many were tired of me acting like a 3 year old " whatcha got? Why? How's it work? Why?" I think I learned some valuable skills by not having one right away but they might not be the ones you would think. I am very happy I have one now and really in the grand scheme I'm still a new diver but learning to speak up and taking my time to look at other gear options was important too.

Casio g shock at walmart good to 200 m $40.00
Used depth gauge ebay - another 50.00 max
Navy air tables from ths US Navy dive manual - free
Nitrox tables from same source - free
Total 90.00

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
Bag of used gear from neighbor - free
In that bag, Princeton techtronics wind up bottom timer, console with SPG and analog depth gauge, plus three regulator sets.
Tables for free - US navy air tables & nitrox

Everything for free.

The computers my club rents out don't have buttons, they are pretty simple and don't feature a planning option. Last year I was on a trip where we had the option of getting a couple dives in in pretty quick succession but with out access to a planning mode would it be worth it? I had tables with me so I was able to look at them, run some numbers and come up with an estimate. Initially I had passed the tables to another guy to work out the details. He had no idea what he was doing.

In general I have nothing against diving a computer, so long as you know what you are doing and are able to fall back on something if required.

suunto_04031.jpg

I'm confused. Seriously- if you can't work out something like this, you shouldn't be left alone in the shower let alone put on scuba equipment.

i have seen some dive ops down here require computers for certain dives (as well as AOW for those same dives) but they also require SMB's as well.
most of those dives tend to be deeper wreck dives of 80-120+ feet or 80+ feet drift dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom