Reasons NOT to Use a Computer for a New Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Recently a newly certified diver asked for some advice on the type of computer to buy. One person (a tech diver) says that nobody should ever use computers in either recreational or tech diving. I asked for rationale and was provided with none.

Can anyone offer solid reasons for a newly certified diver (recreational diving only) to not dive with a computer? Please no references to computers and tech diving. only recreational diving for this discussion.

Price? A good analog depth gauge can be had for about $55, and a G-Shock watch for the same. Even through LP, the least expensive computer I could find is ~$170.

<shrugs> It may not be much, but it's a valid reason.

All the best, James

The only possible advantage of tables only approach that I can think of is that table users are forced to figure out their NDL BEFORE their dive. So they have some awareness of time limits before they splash.

Computer users are not FORCED to do this. I very rarely see divers checking their computers before they jump in. The general behavior appears to be jump in the water, ride the computer. With very little forethought or pre-planning. They get surprised in the "middle" of their dive when the computer indicates they have zero NDL left at 80 feet.

They will not get surprised if they actually look at their computer. These same divers on tables will get surprised in their dive because they have not looked at their timer. Either way, timers or computers, you have to look at them from time to time or they do not help you. I find it hard to believe that somebody who does not look at their computer will look at a timer.

I don't know any reason a diver should not use a computer unless as FDog mention, price is critical. I do believe there is value from learning tables and planing dives with tables. It not either/or you can do both and be a better diver for it.

I believe that the best tool you have yes is between your ears -- but that doesn't mean its infallible and you shouldn't use the rest of the tools you can buy (i like toys!)
I don't think it matters whether you use tables or computers depending on the situation -- what matters is you understand how to use them and actually use them. I would recommend using a computer but don't follow it blindly -- use common sense. check your NDLs before you jump in either thru the computer or appropriate table. -- Here's an example of someone NOT using common sense using a GPS while driving -- gps says to turn right immeadiately but that would drive you right into a building -- what do you do? person lacking in common sense and not paying attention to their environment -- drives right into the the brick wall. The person using common sense and paying attention -- ignores the command -- but may look at the map shown and tries to figure out what's going on..

diving example would be a person who knows their MOD but is too busy watching the silly fish to check either their timer/gauges or their computer and descends too deep may not come back up --

bottom line in my book -- doesn't matter which you use -- just actually use it properly.

Price? A good analog depth gauge can be had for about $55, and a G-Shock watch for the same. Even through LP, the least expensive computer I could find is ~$170.
<shrugs> It may not be much, but it's a valid reason.
All the best, James
That was EXACTLY what I was thinking. Adding to that a computer is (at least in this country)the singularly most expensive piece of equipment so you want to be sure its the one best suited to you. wrist or console,ai or not etc. Heck its bad enough making a bad choice of mask let alone a computer

bottom line in my book -- doesn't matter which you use -- just actually use it properly.

Not a religious person, but AMEN.

Many years ago, I wrote a couple of articles about dive computers having no place in technical diving... I was writing about second gen PDCs that frankly were pieces of ****.

Times change... dogma does not and some folks refused to fess up to what's happened... just like some folks insist on buying can lights for open-water diving. Silly. Fourth gen personal dive computers are pretty neat. They follow an algorithm properly, don't pad earned stop times to ridiculous levels, and have some useful bells and whistles. I use a Liquivison and love it. I sense-check what it tells me to do, using the computer between my ears and memory gained from conducting a few staged deco dives. But computers are OK for technical diving... imo

As quoted above, the important thing for a sport diver is to understand at least the basics of deco theory... how they track it is up to them but a modern PDC is a pretty slick option...

They will not get surprised if they actually look at their computer. These same divers on tables will get surprised in their dive because they have not looked at their timer. Either way, timers or computers, you have to look at them from time to time or they do not help you. I find it hard to believe that somebody who does not look at their computer will look at a timer.
The distinction I made was looking at their computer/tables BEFORE they splashed in order to have some idea of their NDL at various depths.

I see lots of divers who only look at their computer once they are underwater. And they look at them constantly since they have no pre-conceived notion regarding when they will need to surface.

I have no problem with new divers buying a computer IF they are taught how to use it properly. Many are not. They are sold a $1000 piece of technology and then given little or no instruction on it's use. Read the manual they are told. Ever try that. Except for Shearwater the computer user manuals I have seen are exercises in frustration and might as well be written in ancient Sumerian. Unless you are a lawyer or engineer forget it. Especially for the people who have just been trained using material designed for 8th graders. And not very smart 8th graders.

If an instructor or shop is going to include detailed instruction on the unit fine. Go for it. I was not given that on my first one. I was told of all the great longer dives I could do now. Just don't go into the red and if it gets into the yellow start going up. Not knowing that the algorithm the unit was using was not based on a slightly out of shape 45 yr old male who might be dog tired after working a butt load of overtime that week.

Since most OW divers are not supposed to be going below 60 ft anyway and quite often much shallower I don't recommend computers for them. I will teach them if they want one. And if I know how the unit works. I don't sell any yet so I only recommend units with a class on Dive Nav's site. I know they will get good instruction from that I will even sit in with them on it if they like.

With them more often limited by air than NDL's I'd rather they take the money and get a watch and analog gauge and work on buoyancy, trim, planning, and sticking to the plan than flying a computer. But that's just me.

Some computers have capabilities others don't. Depending on what you buy, some potential features:

1.) Logs dives & can download to computer. This often means you get dive time, time of entry & exit, temp.s at different depths, max. depth and average depth all calculated for you, and you can enter comments and other data in the evening after you get home. Nice, when doing multiple dives/day, and not wanting to haul a log book around.

2.) Air-integrated - If also able to log dives, can record start & stop pressure, and calculate your SAC rate. Without you having to write down anything.

3.) Alarms - some computers have the option to set alarms for parameters like a given low PSI on your tank. DO NOT RELY ON THIS, but if you want a backup, it's there.

Following up what others have described, the 'computer between your ears' is also subject to nitrogen narcosis. The 'real' dive computer is not. Something to think about.

Richard.

In my area just doing simple beach dives, there is no reason to use a computer, tables work fine. The depths are not deep enough and most of the time divers do an integrated depth dive - follow the bottom contour out and back. Around here it would be difficult to get deep enough with a single tank to get into trouble. Wearing an expensive computer is just one more thing to lose or damage in the surf or on the rocks.

Doing boat dives out deep then yeah I think a computer would be nice. Or on a multi day liveaboard doing 5 dives a day I could see tables benching you early (using square profiles) while everyone else is still diving.

I know the group that follows the 120 rule and does stops at half the max depth then 30 20 10 every dive, which works too.
They also take tables one step further and depth average instead of figuring dives as square profiles. You have to really pay attention doing this.
I've been doing tables for years. I'm thinking I may have to get another computer soon as soon as my bottom timer craps out. I just want to have fun and dive, not have to do all kinds of math.

What's a good inexpensive wrist mounted non integrated computer that isn't too expensive and allows for air /nitrox?

Back
Top Bottom