Really confused about computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Justin Phillips

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am looking to buy a computer, but there are a lot of computers out there. What I really want is a computer I cant of course log my dives with, but I would like a computer I can use for navigation as well. I would like to be able to get a quick GPS grab of where we are starting a dive but I guess I can do that with my phone. The Suunto Vyper Nova seem like a great computer, and I can add air tracking later. It has navigation, I do wish it could be charged but I am finding it hard to figure out where to jump in for a first computer that does not cost a fortune. I thought the computer would be easier, but I am looking for as many features as I can get (and grow with a computer) for about $500. Any suggestions? Like I said besides the normal safe log info of the dive I would like navigation, GPS grab and be able to sync with my computer or phone. The Suunto is USB only be nice to have Bluetooth.

I have a garmin g1 descent. It fits the bill of what you asked for very well. It has GPS, a compass, and it connects to your phone via the garmin dive app. The non solar version is 550$, and is also a smart watch/fitness tracker. It uses a rechargeable battery, which usually lasts me about 2 weeks (though only about 24 hours of dive time).

I am a big fan, although it doesn’t have the ability for air integration, and it is the size of a normal watch, so the screen is a bit smaller than other dedicated dive computers.

Pick up a used Shearwater Perdix AI. You can use it without the AI until you want to add a transmitter. It has a built in compass. You won't ever outgrow this DC. The only thing missing is the GPS, but your phone can get you coordinates of where you're at if you really want them.

Buy once, cry once. Get a computer that doesn't use proprietary deco algorithms AND can use a variety of transmitters. Loads of people here will say stay away from Suunto for these reasons alone.

For GPS tagging, some dive logging applications can do it later. MacDive and subsurface both allow your mobile phone to collect GPS points, then when you import the dive it will compare time stamps with your dive computer and assign the closest GPS point. It’s not perfect but it works pretty well for boat diving. If you shore dive a bunch it’s less ideal since your phone and your drop point could be considerably distant points. For that an Apple Watch ultra, garmin descent, or some of the other dive computers with GPS enabled are your best bet. If you are using a smartphone dive housing for your photos, snapping a photo right before you descend may give you the GPS coordinates.

I am looking to buy a computer, but there are a lot of computers out there. What I really want is a computer I cant of course log my dives with, but I would like a computer I can use for navigation as well. I would like to be able to get a quick GPS grab of where we are starting a dive but I guess I can do that with my phone.
If the device must have on-board GPS, then your search window is narrowed considerably. Especially considering the price tag.
I thought the computer would be easier, but I am looking for as many features as I can get (and grow with a computer) for about $500. Any suggestions?
The Garmin Descent G1 is about the only one I can think of that has all of this. I have a Shearwater Perdix and a Garmin Descent MK2s. Both have compass, but I prefer to use the compass on the Garmin. The G1 has a monochrome screen, so if you can live with that, it would be a good choice.

The GPS (on my MK2s) works well. As long as I put it in dive mode prior to the dive, it will log my entry point as well as exit. If I don't only the exit point will be logged.

When a dive is completed, it will transfer the dive information to Garmin Dive app as soon as you are within range of your phone (connected via Bluetooth) with no action required of the user. From there, you can edit the dive log as you can with most. The app isn't bad, but I don't use as my primary.

It's easy enough to transfer the dive to Subsurface as well. I use this as my primary dive log, it also holds the profile from my Shearwater. Both computer profiles are linked to the same dive.

For GPS tagging, some dive logging applications can do it later. MacDive and subsurface both allow your mobile phone to collect GPS points, then when you import the dive it will compare time stamps with your dive computer and assign the closest GPS point.
One thing to note. With Subsurface, the GPS logging is no longer as automatic as it once was, at least for iOS. You used to be able to hit a check box and subsurface would pull the GPS information from the location feature in the phone. Apple tightened the rules around accessing this, so it was disabled. You can still copy GPS info from Compass or other apps, and paste into subsurface, so not completely gone, but I was bummed for a bit when the check box went away. Now, I just don't bother as long as I'm using my Garmin as well. When I download the dive from Garmin into Subsurface, the location is transferred as well.

If the device must have on-board GPS, then your search window is narrowed considerably. Especially considering the price tag.

The Garmin Descent G1 is about the only one I can think of that has all of this. I have a Shearwater Perdix and a Garmin Descent MK2s. Both have compass, but I prefer to use the compass on the Garmin. The G1 has a monochrome screen, so if you can live with that, it would be a good choice.

The GPS (on my MK2s) works well. As long as I put it in dive mode prior to the dive, it will log my entry point as well as exit. If I don't only the exit point will be logged.

When a dive is completed, it will transfer the dive information to Garmin Dive app as soon as you are within range of your phone (connected via Bluetooth) with no action required of the user. From there, you can edit the dive log as you can with most. The app isn't bad, but I don't use as my primary.

It's easy enough to transfer the dive to Subsurface as well. I use this as my primary dive log, it also holds the profile from my Shearwater. Both computer profiles are linked to the same dive.

One thing to note. With Subsurface, the GPS logging is no longer as automatic as it once was, at least for iOS. You used to be able to hit a check box and subsurface would pull the GPS information from the location feature in the phone. Apple tightened the rules around accessing this, so it was disabled. You can still copy GPS info from Compass or other apps, and paste into subsurface, so not completely gone, but I was bummed for a bit when the check box went away. Now, I just don't bother as long as I'm using my Garmin as well. When I download the dive from Garmin into Subsurface, the location is transferred as well.
Interesting, in MacDive you tell it start recording gps locations and you then can see the bread crumbs, then tell it to stop obviously. Then when you import and go to location, it automatically pulls it.

A few key things to consider:

- What sort of diver are you and what sort of diver do you want to become? By that I mean - how often do you dive, what type of diving, are you a deco diver, multi-gas, complex profiles, or rebreather diver?

- What sort of interface do you prefer (customizable data fields appearing? two buttons? more buttons?)

- Do you want it to be a watch as well as a dive computer?

- Is air integration important now or in the near future?

- Why do you want GPS? Unless you're a boat owner or go to unknown sites a lot, as others have said either a cell phone grab or the name of the dive site might be sufficient and will open up a lot more choices.

Sadly the Shearwater Peregrine doesn't have a compass or AI, or it would be basically the perfect computer for any purely recreational diver. Also no GPS will open up a lot more options of computers. As a relative beginner myself, I'm working a lot on my breathing rate, and having air integration has been really helpful to identify when during dives I typically suck gas the hardest.

As others have mentioned, one good option if you can stretch your budget a bit higher is picking up a second hand Shearwater Perdix (with or without AI) or Teric as they both have a compass, but no GPS. One thing to bear in mind is that there may be more limited support for retired models (Perdix V1/V2 or Petrel V1/V2) over time.

You'll see Shearwater mentioned for a few key reasons - they can handle everything from absolute beginner through to mixed gas (caveats on how "complete" that is with the Peregrine), they use the pretty much industry standard Buhlmann ZHL-16c decompression algorithm, they hold their resale value exceedingly well, and finally they are bombproof - and when they aren't have amazing customer service/repairs through Dive Tronix in the USA.

Computers are kind of a "buy once, cry once" piece of dive gear. From your other posts, I'm guessing you're starting to buy your own gear across the board? Do you already have mask/fins/wetsuit?

From buying my own gear spread out over last year I would probably prioritize computer near the top of my first purchases (after mask and fins) and hold off a bit before you've dived more types of BCDs and regulators to pick those up. These days there are absolutely stellar travel options for both that may be very attractive given that you're Wisconsin based. Rental regs/BCDs are not as nice as your own kit, but unless the dive shop is ancient, you'll probably struggle to tell the difference in most cases.

I recommend you look at a Ratio iX3M 2 Pro. It is a 3 gas computer (air, nitrox & gauge) with a compass and optional air integration. The great thing about Ratio computers is if you want to upgrade to Trimix or ccr later, you don't have to buy a whole new computer, you just have to upgrade the software on your existing computer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom