Really confused about computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is great info, not sure I am closer to figuring this out. I need to keep looking and I think I will pass on the GPS part but for sure want the compass
Perdix AI, wait on a transmitter. You won't be disappointed.

Edit: Perdix battery is a user changeable AA. No more failed or worn out batteries.

Apart from GPS the Ratio Idive series of watches have all your needs for around that price. The can be software upgraded if you start getting in to the tech scene as well

I’m going to suggest the Ratio as well. the Ix3m GPS, has compus and air integration but is more spendy. Also note that tech support is iffy but just got better. Very easy to read in all conditions and rechargeable. Not a lot of dealers. I have seen used for sale on scubaboad.

This is great info, not sure I am closer to figuring this out. I need to keep looking and I think I will pass on the GPS part but for sure want the compass
Before you commit to a compass, make sure that you understand what it means on a dive computer. For the most part, having the compass active on the screen removes some other information. There are some exceptions, though. The Teric allows a compass ring with N and marks displayed. I've had a dive computer with compass for many years (Oceanic VT4.1, Shearwater Perdix, and Garmin MK2s). I did not use the electronic compass until I got the Garmin which I use as a backup to my Perdix. Prior to that, I used a wrist mount analog compass.

The Oceanic did have a compass, but for the most part, I found it to be largely unusable during the dive. It occupied most (if not all) of the screen, and wasn't (to me at least) intuitive to get back to the dive screen.

The Perdix was better, but really only suited for short uses as it occupies an entire row on the display. Getting back to the main screen is easy, but for me, it was just simpler to use an analog compass. In my case, the compass occupied the space that normally displays some critical information. For me I could either display the compass or Tank Pressure, Gas Time Remaining, Time to Surface, and SurfGF. There is a small compass widget that could also be displayed, but it doesn't include bearing marks that you may make. So, I didn't use it. Still better than the Oceanic, as depth, time, NDL, etc. is still displayed.

It wasn't until I got the Garmin that I started using the electronic compass. As the Garmin is my backup, it's fine for me to have the important dive info on my Perdix and the compass on the Garmin. The Garmin does include depth, time, NDL as well while the compass screen is active.
Suunto is the best,
I've got to say, I've not heard those words in the same sentence before. Without a doubt, just about any dive computer today will keep a diver safe during the dive. Suunto does have some questionable practices such as in-dive lockout that I find terrible. There is also the consideration of service after the sale. A browse through the forums does not seem to inspire confidence in that regard.

Back to the OP. You probably need to make yourself a list of what is important to you.
  • Style: Wrist mount, watch style, console.
  • Display: Monochrome or color
  • AI: Yes or no
  • Algorithm: Buhlmann ZHL, DSAT, or proprietary algorithms. This should also include conservatism settings (standard or custom)
  • Other uses: Compass, dive only or daily watch/activity/smart...

Does the Decent's GPS, function while diving? Never heard of people using them that way.

Does the Decent's GPS, function while diving? Never heard of people using them that way.
No GPS will function underwater. At least not very far underwater. The Descent's GPS will save entry and exit points for the dive, though. That can be useful.

I think it will mark the beginning and end locations of the dive when on the surface.

Back
Top Bottom