Really confused about computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First off, scrap the budget part, double it at least and then look for a used Teric or perdix.

navigation underwater more of a general direction thing, it would be great if there were some sort of underwater GPS but we aren’t there yet.

algorithm doesn’t matter much until you move along with more complicated diving but may as well start with one that has the industry standard, Shearwater and maybe Ratio? I haven’t used a ratio but the price is agreeable.

I like the built in battery of the Teric, I like the ability to set my compass to read in ° rather than have a floating north reference of a graphic display that takes up to much space
DSCI1610.jpeg

i like the size and excellent screen.

Perdix with the AA battery is also great

look for a used Teric or Perdix, in your head deduct the cost of the cheap computer and think of that as a discount on the initial cost, be happy because you now have a computer that you will not out grow and won’t be out classed anytime soon. Ditch them as soon as someone comes up with a reliable underwater GPS.

How is the Atomic Cobalt 2? I am listening to everyone's feedback and found a Perdix AI for $750 with no transmitter. But still looking.

I may get something for now that will become a backup computer for later. I am not locking myself into anything I just want to get active diving in my community right now but can make changes for sure.

Lots of good info here:

How is the Atomic Cobalt 2? I am listening to everyone's feedback and found a Perdix AI for $750 with no transmitter. But still looking.

I may get something for now that will become a backup computer for later. I am not locking myself into anything I just want to get active diving in my community right now but can make changes for sure.
If you want to go that route (which I think is smart given your level of training and experience), you should look at the Deep 6 excursion. No compass/gps, but it has the same algorithm as the Perdix (zhl-16c), recreational and technical modes that will serve you for dives up to trimix and it's $349.95.

Full disclosure - I'm a deep 6 dealer, but our policy is not to sell anything we wouldn't dive (i.e. we don't sell crap we don't believe in). I dive an excursion as my backup computer in caves and it is as accurate as my Perdix.

If you want to go that route (which I think is smart given your level of training and experience), you should look at the Deep 6 excursion. No compass/gps, but it has the same algorithm as the Perdix (zhl-16c), recreational and technical modes that will serve you for dives up to trimix and it's $349.95.

Full disclosure - I'm a deep 6 dealer, but our policy is not to sell anything we wouldn't dive (i.e. we don't sell crap we don't believe in). I dive an excursion as my backup computer in caves and it is as accurate as my Perdix.
This was great feedback. I think you summed up where I am at and what I want. I am a beginner who is going to be heavily concentrating on getting advanced heavily. The Excursion looks to be built like a tank. I can do GPS with my phone (just want to grab where I am) I can wear a compass and start with something like this and work on getting something better. When it comes down to it I want something that is not crap and something that keeps me safe!

I'm also a big fan of eh Excursion with its updated firmware.
I just wish there was a manual and a way to download the data.

Back
Top Bottom