Reality...Just Asking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To me, there´s a pretty big difference between looking at a dive and saying: This dive really needs doubles, a reel and a serious plan to be safe but lets do it on an al80 anyway and take a spool to reel off if we get lost, I´m aware of the added risk and accept it.
vs.
I´m a recdiver, the charter boat took us to this wreck. It looks cool, lets go inside.

Both dives may be made on an al80 with a spool but, IMO, one is infintely safer than the other.

It´s the attitude that "this is just a light penetration, there´s a rule that problems only happen on hard penetrations", "a cavern isn´t really a OE-dive", "my DM wouldn´t take me if it wasn´t safe" etc that I find annoying. If you´re stuck in an overhead your lungs won´t give a damn if your 20 or 2000ft from OW, you´ll still die. I don´t have a problem with people willingly accepting a higher risk but people who use catch-phrases like the ones I mentioned as safety blankets and excuses to not think really are a danger to themselves and others, IMO...

. . .Which is why I don't do a serious penetration of the Sea Tiger without using Double AL80's, clear-headed on 21/35mix. Getting hung-up on the grating was just a minor inconvenience (I can still hear Jo Hjelm floating above me, laughing through his regulator) . . .getting stuck on a Single Tank Air Mix is another matter all together:11:

yea..getting stuck would suck.

nice math, BTW.

You know, what would be so fun is to draw the plans in cross section....measure certain critical dimensions and show the whole wreck. I am still confused about certain places like the way to the galley from the engine room.

To me, there´s a pretty big difference between looking at a dive and saying: This dive really needs doubles, a reel and a serious plan to be safe but lets do it on an al80 anyway and take a spool to reel off if we get lost, I´m aware of the added risk and accept it.
vs.

yea, point taken.

I do want a photo of the statue but my guru did not let me take the camera under the grate. Good call, I'm sure. We saw a huge Manta BTW, on the stop.

DSC_0327.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

Are the grates part of the holds or were they put in to close it off?

some of that is refridgeration tubing

catherine96821:
You know, what would be so fun is to draw the plans in cross section....measure certain critical dimensions and show the whole wreck. I am still confused about certain places like the way to the galley from the engine room.

That's one of many things I want to do over the next 6-8 months.....and I hope Jay will help me do it :) (after I am done with him that is)

really? You should!

I wanted to do it and asked Justleesa to draw it...

But I know I would not be able to execute the dives for all the hallways.

I was planning to photograph areas and then try and re-construct from that.

You should see leesa's drawings of the YO... artistic, but I would love to see a clever combination drawing.

The only plans I have are the one I got from Captain Carl.

been planning on it for some time now, matter of fact I think I mention it somewhere on my website. It'll take some planning (when I say some, I mean a lot) though. I don;t even have Capt Carl's plans...even though I was asking/looking for a set of plans when I first got here.

Oh..maybe they pulled it back some more. When I went it was a tight fit and I remember thinking doubles would be tough for a big guy.

catherine96821:
Oh..maybe they pulled it back some more. When I went it was a tight fit and I remember thinking doubles would be tough for a big guy.
Jeesh Catherine... are you implying Jim is a big guy? I think of him as a petite plus:wink:

Scuba and Dream:
That's one of many things I want to do over the next 6-8 months.....and I hope Jay will help me do it :) (after I am done with him that is)

I am there. I was actually thinking that would be something cool to do once I have the training and am ready.

I think if we are very methodical about it that it won't be too hard. It will take time and p.e.r.f.e.c.t planning though.

Back
Top Bottom