Reality...Just Asking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rockjock,

Lame may or may not be appropriate modifier but we were all instructors and we were getting certified to teach PADI Wreck. We had accurate diagrams, mild currents, good vis, multiple windows and doors for alternate exit before planned exit, with no part of the penetration dark enough to require turning on the lights. If you haven't experienced the act of manouvering inside without stirring it up how do you know how to teach it?

A good briefing should mention snagging hoses and punctured bladders as possible consequences, but the minor wreck penetrations off Oahu seem pretty tame to me. I personally never had any desire to go into the bowls of any wreck so I don't even know what's possible at the YO' and 'Tiger. Do you think the penetrations Catherine is talking about require redundant air &/or 7' alternates to be sufficiantly safe? How about the cavern dives? Many divers certified in Pupukea are better divers on their first certified dive than others with AOW or PADI Wreck. Does anybody else think it's well over 10% minor penetrations?

halemano:
Do you think the penetrations Catherine is talking about require redundant air &/or 7' alternates to be sufficiantly safe?

She is referencing the SG thread...so I would have to say yes. The ST is full of dark, zero light silty rooms/passageways.

halemano:
I personally never had any desire to go into the bowls of any wreck so I don't even know what's possible at the YO' and 'Tiger.

Both the ST and the YO have accessible compartments that have no ambient light.

halemano:
7' alternates

It's a 7' primary :) ..... /ducks

These are the incidents that spook me out, moreso that this latest SG Tragedy . . .lesson learned: never ever penetrate a wreck without a continuous guideline to open water and an adequate redundant gas source.

Kevrumbo:
These are the incidents that spook me out, moreso that this latest SG Tragedy . . .lesson learned: never ever penetrate a wreck without a continuous guideline to open water and an adequate redundant gas source.

Funny (well not really) I was looking for the rebreather thread an hour ago and was going to post it here....you beat me to it.

catherine96821:
what percentage of divers you think lightly penetrate the Sea Tiger or YO257?

Catherine, please let us know what constitutes lightly.

Scuba and Dream:
It's a 7' primary :) ..... /ducks

Roger that. Seems like my Intro to Cave was 7' alternate.

The scary part is that the Rebreather Diver (DrMike) was less than 7ft from the opening -"perhaps two fin kicks"- and he still couldn't find the way out in the ensuing silt-out. Any overhead, even just to go in a full body length and take a look --I'll always tie-in at least a spool line to guide me out. . .

I disagree... there are a couple of sites (China Wall, the Lookout) can be very hairy under the wrong conditions. With that being said, there are a couple of people here in Hawaii (like a fellow named Marty) that scare the bejesus out of me even more...

Things can go bad even on a "light" penetration of a wreck or overhead environment.

Kevrumbo, WHOA, those posts were spooky to read.....
I see many people doing things they should'nt do, and I've done some STUPID stuff in my day as well. Live and Learn. I've been learning alot lately, after feeling that I'm a pretty good diver, I'm feeling like I'm back to square one on the learning curve again.
Wreck diving and overhead situations REQUIRE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE UNDER SUPERVISION.
40% or better is the number I would say is the divers doing the YO or the SeaTiger that should not be......of course 60% of the people I see on the SeaTiger shouldnt be in the water.....
and if I dont like a dive, I DONT DO IT, I've called dives before and I'll do it again...
or I'll sit and do the shore watch thing, or enjoy the sun on the boat. That's not LAME, it's smart.

Things can even "almost" go wrong during a drill in an Advanced Wreck Class. . .:confused:

(Catherine darling, don't get complacent in the Sea Tiger or any of the other Overheads there. . .:no )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom