Real-life Equipment Failures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

More likely the freshly-charged battery was warm enough to heat up the air inside the canister. The expanding air put enough pressure on the o-ring to extrude it, allowing water into the can.

I've seen that happen ... which is why you should always make sure your battery is cool before sealing the can ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Possibly, but this was a lot of extrusion. I wouldnt have thought expanding air would have pushed it out that far.

Great line Bob. Hope you don't mind if I steal it to use on my students.

Be my guest ... I think I "stole" it from Joe Talavera ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Possibly, but this was a lot of extrusion. I wouldnt have thought expanding air would have pushed it out that far.

Ah yeah ... I was expanding the explanation in an edit.

The heated up air only needs to move the o-ring enough to cause a tiny leak. Water gets in as air escapes.

Ever see what happens when water mixes with NiMH batteries? The reaction's pretty dramatic ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ah yeah ... I was expanding the explanation in an edit.

The heated up air only needs to move the o-ring enough to cause a tiny leak. Water gets in as air escapes.

Ever see what happens when water mixes with NiMH batteries? The reaction's pretty dramatic ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well, they were pretty well mixed. However the battery pack was apparently unharmed. I bought another to replace it, but it still works and I've used it on non-overhead dives for years since with no issues.

Here is an example of how being a cheap craigslist diver can get you in trouble...

So a customer come in and says, "yeah, I was out diving today (loran tower ledge, 75'+)Ive got a small leak around the 1st stage. I really don't want to put too much money towards this reg, do you have anything in the boneyard?". I take one look at the reg and this is what I found! Nothing new that HP hoses go from time to time, but this reg was out diving YESTERDAY!

In other news, Ive come across three different Aqualung Titan first stages within the last month with MARES PARTS inside. Black diaphragms, black HP seats. wtf,

Attachments

• PICT0080.jpg
    PICT0080.jpg
    392.4 KB · Views: 989
Last edited:
Here is an example of how being a cheap craigslist diver can get you in trouble...

So a customer come in and says, "yeah, I was out diving today (loran tower ledge, 75'+)Ive got a small leak around the 1st stage. I really don't want to put too much money towards this reg, do you have anything in the boneyard?". I take one look at the reg and this is what I found! Nothing new that HP hoses go from time to time, but this reg was out diving YESTERDAY!

In other news, Ive come across three different Aqualung Titan first stages within the last month with MARES PARTS inside. Black diaphragms, black HP seats. wtf, thats what happens when you service your own gear and don't know what you are doing

An Hp hose failure is merely an inconvenience since the rate of gas loss is very slow.
Many internal parts are generic to many regulators and using one brand's parts in another brands regulator is not an issue. The Titan uses the most common of 1st stage parts used in other brands.

In other news, Ive come across three different Aqualung Titan first stages within the last month with MARES PARTS inside. Black diaphragms, black HP seats. wtf, thats what happens when you service your own gear and don't know what you are doing

Were they working OK or had they failed?

I routinely use generic parts in my Scubapro regs with no problem. Is there some design peculiarity in an Aqualung reg that makes this a problem?

Heck, I even put a Ford bolt in a Chevrolet once.

...Many internal parts are generic to many regulators and using one brand's parts in another brands regulator is not an issue....

...maybe, but not for an authorized dealer

Were they working OK or had they failed?

I routinely use generic parts in my Scubapro regs with no problem. Is there some design peculiarity in an Aqualung reg that makes this a problem?...

Subtle, but yes there are differences. Check out the pictures- the diaphragms are the same diameter, but different thicknesses. also the backup ring in the spring block/counterbalance chamber of an aqualung is NOT Split as the mares are. Are the differences enough to cause a problem? Maybe maybe not and as you point out, folks use non-factory parts all the time. In this latest case on the titan w/ mares parts, the regulator did fail inspection- IP was <120psi with the adjustment screw cranked down into the spring retainer.

Attachments

• MARESVSAL DIAP.jpg
    MARESVSAL DIAP.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 360
  • MARESVS AQUALUNG BACKUP RING.jpg
    MARESVS AQUALUNG BACKUP RING.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 342
Actually until just recently the Aqua Lung backup ring was split for easier assembly. I split the unsplit ones for that reason. The diaphragm thickness issue can be compensated for by using a stainless steel washer between the spring and the adustment screw to prevent the adjustment screw from being screwed to deeply into the spring retainer.

My buddy had an interesting failure last week ... the "guts" on her Inspiration rebreather came separated from the BP/harness assembly ... riding up her back while on a deep dive in hefty current.

The mount where it bolts to the plate had broken ... I'm thinking partly due to the way we had packed the gear in the car for what proved to be a rather bumpy ride over 40 miles of dirt road getting to the dive site.

We were able to complete the dive, but the 'breather wasn't field-fixable ...and she ended up on OC gear for the rest of the trip.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom