Real ID driver's license for US Vets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akimbo

Just a diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Real ID compliant driver's licenses will be required by the TSA to use as an ID to board commercial aircraft in 2020 (you can use a passport instead). As a result many of us will be updating or renewing our drivers licenses next year. I just discovered that you can get a Veterans ID on a Driver’s License or ID Card issued by your state.

More Info: Veterans ID on Driver's License or ID Cards by State | Military Benefits

These state programs now make it easier for veterans to receive access to government benefits and discounts at restaurants and retailers.

Here is a sample for a California license:

upload_2018-12-12_7-43-48.png

Before anyone asks, no this is NOT my license. :)

Edit: FYI, Home Depot offers a 10% discount to US Vets for example. I wish I knew that when I was building my house!

Cool. I have to get realID also, and I might as well pay the fee when I do so.

It's a good thing I noticed who posted this, I almost put this through the spam-in-ator! :facepalm:

Mine Is in progress
Need to go to veteran affairs and obtain an official copy of my DD214
I am not certain but I was "told" that California charges a fee-- I have not verified if they do.

Sam

Mine Is in progress
I am not certain but I was "told" that California charges a fee-- I have not verified if they do.

Sam
5 bucks.

I already have my DD-214N (N for Navy) but have to go the County Veterans Service Office this afternoon to get the Veteran Status Verification Form #VSD-001. I'm not sure if active duty and retired have to jump through these hoops.

$5 is a one time fee, at least in California.

You can also get Veterans license plates (probably in all states).

CalVet Veteran Services License Plates

I have already my DD-214N (N for Navy) but have to go the County Veterans Service Office this afternoon to get the Veteran Status Verification Form #VSD-001.
Let us know if they ask for more than the DD214.

thanks for the info and the heads up...

Edit: FYI, Home Depot offers a 10% discount to US Vets for example. I wish I knew that when I was building my house!
Lowe's also offers a discount. If you have a MyLowe's card, you can get verified through their system and you just have to have them scan your card instead of flashing your ID and getting a manager's approval. As a former landlord, I've used that to my advantage plenty.

Leisurepro also offers a veteran's discount. I was able to verify that through a third party that in turn verified through my USAA membership (I didn't have to give them any log in information). It was a weird amount, like 6% or something.

I got my Real ID in 2015, after my Lasik surgery, so I still have 5 more years before I need to renew, but when I do, I don't think it'll be too much effort to carry along a copy of my DD 214. It's free in Iowa.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom