Real ID driver's license for US Vets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doesn’t a passport also fulfill the requirements?

Yes. And if you invested in one of those fancy passport cards, you can use that instead too. The passport card was only useful for Mexico, Canada and cruise ships before.

I have already my DD-214N (N for Navy) but have to go the County Veterans Service Office this afternoon to get the Veteran Status Verification Form #VSD-001.

Let us know if they ask for more than the DD214.

I just got back from the County Veterans Service Office. All they wanted was the DD214 and a valid drivers licence, but that is California. I wouldn't be surprised if many state DMVs are happy with just the DD214. The next stop is the DMV, which is about as much fun as a root canal.

It's interesting that Florida charges a fee to add a "blue V" onto my license.

Because pressing the extra key and printing must be expensive.

Cool. I have to get realID also, and I might as well pay the fee when I do so.

Fee? Here in California I read that it's the same price as the regular driver license. I'll find out for sure next week. I have to go in for the eye exam anyway but I'm not sure why--I haven't crashed into anything.

Fee? Here in California I read that it's the same price as the regular driver license. I'll find out for sure next week. I have to go in for the eye exam anyway but I'm not sure why--I haven't crashed into anything.
Florida and California charge a fee.

The cost for the license is the same, but there is a one-time $5 fee to get you registered. Don't forget the Veteran Status Verification Form #VSD-001 from your County Veterans Service Office -- in addition to the documents required for Real ID. Having to go to the DMV is bad enough, but going back because all your paperwork isn't complete is a major bummer. Click here: California DMV: How to Add the Veteran Designation to Your DL/ID Card

It sounds like a fee to get the veteran's emblem on the license, not to get the RealID driver's license.

Leisurepro also offers a veteran's discount. I was able to verify that through a third party that in turn verified through my USAA membership (I didn't have to give them any log in information). It was a weird amount, like 6% or something.

Here is a link to sign up for Leisurepro's discount: Veterans & Military Service Discount Program

Back
Top Bottom