random links being applied to text

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

noreastDIVER84

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have just had in one of my posts a few words selected and the made into a link that I had nothing to do with. I went back to edit the post and there was no coding for it, so I removed a word and it went away. I tried the same word combination in another post and nothing happened. Someone told me that when you hover over it it says "shopping link added by skimlinks."

I just don't want random links being attached to my posts.

We are trying it out. It doesn't seem to affect anyone's enjoyment of the site.

NetDoc -

The example cited by noreastDIVER84 went to a dead link. I tried to follow it to see WHY he had made it a link. 1) I got "suckered" by this new "feature" and 2)it FAILED.

Sure improves my "enjoyment" of the site - NOT. :shakehead:

Well it may not be affecting some peoples enjoyment, but I am not liking it. I don't like random web addresses being tagged to my text.

NetDoc -

The example cited by noreastDIVER84 went to a dead link. I tried to follow it to see WHY he had made it a link. 1) I got "suckered" by this new "feature" and 2)it FAILED.

Sure improves my "enjoyment" of the site - NOT. :shakehead:
It went to a dead link at first, then it went to some body lotion site.

The way I see it, is this makes for a possibility of clicking on something you may not want to see, or something harmful to my computer.

Hi NetDoc,

Never heard of skimlinks before, but just read up on it a bit, and - What a neat idea!
If there’s a chance we can add some revenue to ScubaBoard’s coffers, at no cost to ourselves, especially in this time of need for funding to support your legal defense, why not?

If my mentioning Amazon.com, or maybe someday PADI, or even Spare Air, can sometimes help you – I’m all for it.

k

I absolutely *detest* the automatic linking. I take time and put thought into what I post and don't want my posts associated with random sites/links/other content that I don't approve of.

I'm very much against this.

Henrik

Is there an opt-out option for this new added feature?

Not crazy about links being inserted when they aren't intended.

3861215248_ddfcd262e6.jpg

Back
Top Bottom