random links being applied to text

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cease the freak out. It's been disabled. It may take a little while for total "digestion" to the system.

your security was not compromised.

How can you call this a freak with about nine SB members posting their dislike? :shakehead:

Thanks for disabling it and we'd like an opt-out option to skimlink.

Cease the freak out. It's been disabled. It may take a little while for total "digestion" to the system.

Freak out ceased. Thanks. Glad hyperbole is in style still.

Drugs ingested - freak-out slowly fading ... fading ... fading ...

:D

Cease the freak out.

I wanna freak!!!!

dizzyz.gif

thanks.gif

I guess the "freak out" is because this has been here for several months. Like 5 or 6 and no one complained up until now. No hacked links have been presented either.

I guess the "freak out" is because this has been here for several months. Like 5 or 6 and no one complained up until now. No hacked links have been presented either.
Well today was the first time I had some text converted to a link.

Why didn't you reply with this in post #3 rather than telling us you're "trying it out". :shakehead:

Makes no sense why you would say this now in post #25.

We are trying it out. It doesn't seem to affect anyone's enjoyment of the site.

I am aware of 2 posts that skimlinks created links on before the first post in this thread. The first was the one that caused the OP to start this thread, the other was about a week ago. Since then, all the discussion and examples have generated a few more, but always using the same words.

The post that cited EBay had a skimlink created that worked.

The post that cited "the body shop" had a skimlink created that failed (for me, multiple times - others eventually got a link to a moisturizing cream).

I'm sure as the one who collect the funds generated by skimlinks, you were aware of more.

50% of the links I saw (1 out of 2 - very small dataset) were both dead and not in any way related to scuba. Ebay, on the other hand, is marginally related to scuba, in that some minor % of their listings are dive gear related.

When this was first reported, and you took a dismissive approach, NetDoc, you helped foster the "freak out." You thanked one poster that was supportive, and did not ever acknowledge that any further action was being taken.

Just some food for thought.

EDIT - the two links now showing, for Ebay and the body shop, were NOT put there by me. I understand it takes time to disable.

Last edited:
Pete had nothing to do with this. I and I alone did this. I've disabled the auto links... Excuse me for trying to monetize ScubaBoard's activity to pay the bills.

There is nothing else to say about this.

Back
Top Bottom