random links being applied to text

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yanno ...on second thought .. if it's been around that long already without me noticing it, and it will help pay the bills, go for it

... if there was/is a way to make a skimlink a differing color than a regular link, would be good ... if that's possible

From reading the article that Jax posted, one of the uses of skimlinks was to take a link that you posted, and turn it into an "affiliate link" that pays more revenue. This seems innocuous and beneficial to SB with no downside. If this is how it used to work, no wonder it ran for 5-6 months with no issues. Note that this used existing links, not ones that skimlinks created.

If it continues to grab words out of a post, and make those words into a link, then the anger and frustration are understandable and deserved. Who wants their words twisted around, and stripped of their intent, all in the name of a few cents profit?

Thanks for the article Jax. I have not read it all, but post a few excerpts for others so they may also have their interest piqued and read more: I don't see where they discuss turning non-links ("I took my car to ") into links (a hot link to a moisturizing cream called "body shop" - which is NOT AT ALL RELATED TO THE SUBJECT) which seems to be the area that created issues here. The product/service as described in the article does not sound near as invasive as the recent user experience here demonstrated it to be. I wonder if Skimlinks is also an experiment, and subject to change?

If you don't have "safe search" on, that " body shop " can turn into way more risque link than a moisturizing cream . . . :shocked2:

Personally, I have no issue with SB trying to make money but I do not want anybody touching my text (unless it is a MOD because I made an "oopsie" :D).

You make "oopsies"??? Who knew? :idk:

If you don't have "safe search" on, that " body shop " can turn into way more risque link than a moisturizing cream . . . :shocked2:

.....slinks off to find out how to disable safe search...........

You make "oopsies"??? Who knew? :idk:

:idk:

Back
Top Bottom