R.I. Couple Finds Rare Pearl in Clam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They're actually a different subspecies. Our "quahogs" (Mercenaria mercenaria)have a natural range down to almost FL supposedly but then you go any more south and it is the southern subspecies.

And I just found out, in a quick Google search, that Gulf oysters are actually Atlantic oysters; from the Northeast to the Gulf, they're basically the same species. Pacific oysters have a couple of different species, apparently.

Enjoy the variety where you can. It's ironic that Texas' very best source for steamed clams, and the ONLY source in most cities, is ... Hooters. Really. A bucket of those darlin's, from wherever, is consistently good.

Here we have M. campechiensis, and some fruity thing called M. mercenaria texana. Frequently texana gets swapped with the wrong species, or campechiensis is swapped with mercenaria. Most of my students can't differentiate Rangia from Mercenaria, even when placed side-by-side and traced out.

Hence we call them all "big clams".

Ummm all the oysters in TX, LA and in New England and VA are Crassostrea virginica. C. gigas are on the Pacific side and those hosers in the Mid-Atlantic area want to bring in triploid C. ariakensis (which taste like poo in my professional opinion). According to one of my profs the difference in taste between C. gigas and C. virginica is like chardonnay to shiraz.

archman- the biggest quahog I've seen weighed more than 800g and was bigger than my two fists together but I have wee tiny hands so that's not huge. Took me about 20 minutes to get it open.

WaterWayne:
And I just found out, in a quick Google search, that Gulf oysters are actually Atlantic oysters; from the Northeast to the Gulf, they're basically the same species. Pacific oysters have a couple of different species, apparently.
You newbie, you've committed the cardinal sin of confusing oysters with clams. Gidds is gonna skewer you...

um..

hosers are from canada

Hosers are from wherever I say they are :mad:

Ray may I have the clam rake please? :evil:

Gidds:
the biggest quahog I've seen weighed more than 800g and was bigger than my two fists together but I have wee tiny hands so that's not huge. Took me about 20 minutes to get it open.

The biggest quahog shell in my lab is only slightly bigger than one fist. You win.

Seriously my hands are WICKED small although for some reason I think our clams up here might be bigger. Yours have bigger eggs due to the temp yada yada...is your pet clam shell wild or notata? Or is it too big and faded to tell?

Back
Top Bottom