R.I. Couple Finds Rare Pearl in Clam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSilvia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Associated Press

PORTSMOUTH, R.I. - A clam that a Portsmouth couple thought was rotten turned out to hold a rare gem: a purple pearl that could be worth lots of money.

It happened earlier this month when Barbara Krensavage brought home about four dozen quahogs from a Newport seafood restaurant. Her husband, Thaddeus or "Ted," was shucking them when he came across one he thought was diseased. Upon closer inspection, the couple found the pearl.

"We're finding out there's only a handful on earth," Barbara Krensavage said. "We were excited, biting it and everything."

Some experts estimate that only 1 in 100,000 quahog clams contains a pearl, and 1 in 20 of those pearls is of gem quality. That puts the odds on the Krensavages' find at 1 in 2 million, according to The Providence Journal.

Antoinette Matlins, author of "The Pearl Book: the Definitive Buying Guide," said the Krensavages' pearl, perfectly round and about the size of a large pea, might be valued in the thousands of dollars, though she hasn't seen it. But that estimate could rise depending on the value of two purple quahog pearls featured in a $14 brooch bought five years ago by the partner of Newport antique dealer Alan Golash.

The brooch is included in the American Museum of Natural History's international pearl exhibit, now in Japan. The exhibition will move to Australia for much of 2006, and then to the Persian Gulf and London in 2007.

"You might sell something now for $20,000 or $25,000, which seems like a huge amount for a single pearl," Matlins said, "but then somebody might turn around and bid $1 million for the Alan Golash pearl. Then, the person who sold it for $20,000 or $25,000 would be kicking themselves."

The couple have set the gem in a gold ring _ at least for now.

"If it's worth $10,000, we'll probably keep it, it'll be a family treasure," Ted Krensavage said. "But if it's worth more than a quarter million, we might put it up for auction."

Neat article. Thanks for sharing :D I have a quahog pearl that is white and about the size of the head of one of those round pins and it's flat on one side. I found it in a cherrystone I ate probably about 12 years ago. Now I'll have to go find it and take a picture.

Great timing, I've got about 4doz in my trunk right now from a nice day in the water. As if I wasnt rabid enough...now I'll be looking for the other 1 in 2 million!
Wait till Diesel sees this.....:D

woo hoo
im all about them feakin yummy little shelled creatures even more now....
i hit a decent score.. got a little more than half my limit.. onld did one dive...
tomorows another day....

I want a quahog pearl for my own now. Maybe I can get one off eBay.

Purple pearl
"The quahog is a thick-shelled member of the clam family and so the quahog pearl is not technically a pearl since it does not come from an oyster or mussel. "
If one of my kids told me that I'd publicly ridicule them in class. "Not technically a pearl" my butt...

Thanks for the photo link Alan. That thing's gorgeous.

i'm sorry, i don't eat anything called a "quahog"

a hog, yes... a "quahog" no...

you have to set these limits and stick to them, or there goes civilization

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom