R.I. Couple Finds Rare Pearl in Clam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And here I thought "working" today would be boring...

Speaking of diseases, Gidds, I think the quarantine aspect of Gulf harvesting is better than several years ago. For instance, I was in Houston when a mid-80's batch of bad oysters hospitalized a few dozen people; the cause was illegal harvesting from a previously-quarantined bay (American Bay, in Louisiana.) Now the locals have apparently gotten with the program.

On the other hand, Galveston Bay oysters are out of the question. A mid-90's outbreak of Vibrio was only found in individuals who ate raw oysters from Galveston Bay. "This strain has not previously been identified in U.S. waters but is common in South East Asia. A connection with ballast water discharged from ships is
considered a strong possibility according to Dr. George Hofkin of the US Food and Drug Administration...

"Comparative situations mentioned were:

"- - the detection of the bacterium which causes cholera in oysters from Alabama's Mobile Bay a few years ago, traced to ballast water (taken on to stabilize ships during ocean passages) which was dumped from ships which had been to Peru where a major outbreak had occurred,

"- - Zebra mussels carried to the Great Lakes from foreign ports via ballast water dumped in US waters."

I guess those zebra mussels are inedible, huh? or the restaurant market would have taken care of the Great Lakes infestations.

Zebra mussels are indeed inedible lil bastids. My first job ever was fecal coliform testing for southern Maine :D If you look at the stats most of the shellfish poisionings are in the south but that's just because of the temp. Your oysters spawn twice a season, ours can only do it once.

i think its great to see Gidds unleash her hostility on somone besideds me....
im sure ill get blasted soon tho...
as much as i hate to miss this i gotta run out.. il be back in about a hour :)

Actually when I do the microscopy their GI tracts are full of eggs and "such" due to the filter feeding during spawning so I don't see that working. :wink:

Gidds:
If you look at the stats most of the shellfish poisionings are in the south but that's just because of the temp.
Yes, the great oyster guru of Texas (Sammy Ray) told me that a long time ago. Hot, salty water does not a healthy oysterbed make.

Which is why I only eat SCALLOPS, specifically scallops that strangely taste like stingray. Odd how each cooked scallop looks remarkably similar to one another...

that's not stingray it's skate wings that they've taken a cookie cutter to :wink: Ever eaten a whole scallop? They're pretty tasty, no idea why everybody just eats the adductor muscles.

and the ONLY source in most cities, is ... Hooters. Really. A bucket of those darlin's, from wherever, is consistently good.

I heartily agree with this statement,, you do mean clams ,,right?

Gidds:
that's not stingray it's skate wings that they've taken a cookie cutter to :wink: Ever eaten a whole scallop? They're pretty tasty, no idea why everybody just eats the adductor muscles.
Oh great, now you've blown the big secret. I may AS WELL spill the whole thing, NOW.

"Sea Scallop" can be derived from both skates and rays, including stingrays. Some dude told me he ate "electric sea scallop", but having knowledge of torpedo ray anatomy, I'm disinclined to believe him.
You can also get fake scallop from large squids. That sounds yummy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom