Quite the storm going on now !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

from a TA post, the Ultramar ferry leaving dock yesterday:

So - do they run the monohull in high seas, rather than the catamaran? I would have thought the cat would be more stable, but perhaps less maneuverable? (Obviously I'm not a sailor ...)

Today is actually only the 4th day this month of no diving so far. So not the worst, no.

Jan 10, 15, 20 and today so far. There have been days the port has been open in the morning and closed in the afternoon or vice versa, but only 4 days of full closure. There is still a possibility that it will open for afternoon dives today.

And don't count on my website port status - because people have literally become very demanding and flat out rude with emails and phone calls because they believed it wasn't updated (even when it was) - I will probably be removing it from my website. It was there intended to be a courtesy, not real time up to the minute updates. It is not something people should be relying on to plan their days and trips and definitely not for people to make demands on how/when it is updated. It's not automated and therefore requires me, a human, to go in and manually make the update - which requires me to physically be at my computer in my office - which is not always possible.
So the official word comes from observing (or not) a flag hanging outside the Harbor Master's building? It seems to me a webcam might be a good idea.

Made the crossing late today in an old ferry today, the "Isla Mujeres". The old mono hulls have shallower hulls and won't hit bottom in big swells at the docks. In addition, if lost at sea they won't cost the owners too much!

On the 4 pm ferry from Playa it was not too bad and everything looks OK here. I did lose all the sand off my beach at the Villa Aldora but no damage to the structure. I had been in Galveston on Friday predicting this January problem was coming—only to get the insults coming my way about my lack of "statistical knowledge". 27 years of personal observation about January nortes means very little to small minds I guess.

Among the seasoned veterans here, I am told that this was the worst norte in recent memory. After seeing all the downed trees in Playa and stories about flying coconuts here, I believe it.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

from a TA post, the Ultramar ferry leaving dock yesterday:

We drove into Playa during the storm. Wild!

In addition, if lost at sea they won't cost the owners too much!
Those ferries should have been docked. Glad made the headlines.

So the official word comes from observing (or not) a flag hanging outside the Harbor Master's building? It seems to me a webcam might be a good idea.
No, it comes from a regional report that is given over the Marine Bands and then the local guy comes on afterwards and gives us official status for here

No, it comes from a regional report that is given over the Marine Bands and then the local guy comes on afterwards and gives us official status for here
OK, but didn't there used to be a flag? It would be great if there were a way to have a real time web based display of some kind of the official status of the port that didn't require that someone such as yourself administer it. If there were a flag, a webcam might do it.

Well....looks like 5 of the dolphins escaped :)

Parque Chankanaab, estropeado

I wonder if they will come back. I know Anthony's Key Resort in Roatan lets their dolphin's out during hurricanes (it's safer in the ocean than in a pen), and they always come back, apparently sometimes with friends.

I wonder if they will come back. I know Anthony's Key Resort in Roatan lets their dolphin's out during hurricanes (it's safer in the ocean than in a pen), and they always come back, apparently sometimes with friends.
Or pregnant I've read.

They have manatees in prison there, too?
As regards Natalia Rahalevich, manager of said dolphinarium, said they are still in valuation of the damage caused by strong winds and waves that knocked down the woods that were used as a platform, for the displacement of tourists visiting the area and watch the manatees and dolphins.
A wooden coral? Lordie!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom