Quite the storm going on now !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or pregnant I've read.

They have manatees in prison there, too?

A wooden coral? Lordie!

We were told the manatees were rescues who could not otherwise survive in nature. I don't know if that is a true statement or not.

I think the wood is the pier you walk on to get to the corals.

The manatee corral wasn't very big.

And don't count on my website port status - because people have literally become very demanding and flat out rude with emails and phone calls because they believed it wasn't updated (even when it was) - I will probably be removing it from my website.

No good deed goes unpunished. I say remove it from you website and forget about all the nutcases who are 1000 miles away and for some reason or another absolutely must monitor the port status 24/7. What is wrong with those people? They are either off their meds or in need of a prescription for some.

from a TA post, the Ultramar ferry leaving dock yesterday:

How about a nice greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray? Not sure they make a seasickness pill or patch that can counter that crossing.

people have literally become very demanding and flat out rude with emails and phone calls

This is why we can't have nice things.

Someone makes a special effort to offer a useful service for free to anyone who might be able to make use of that information and ends up catching grief for it. I presume many of the rude people were acting on the assumption (or possibly not even any clearly-articulated thought) that there's a person whose role in life is to keep them personally updated on the status of the port at all times.

I'll admit to having checked the widget when things looked a bit iffy because it was quicker and easier than taking a minute to call the shop with which I was actually diving - I've never even dived with Blue XT Sea and here I am taking advantage of Christi's work.

Oddly, my experience has been that people act in more demanding and entitled ways about things being offered to them for free than they do about things for which they're paying.

On a note related to the original postings in the thread, the cams at my house show that an empty bucket left by the landscaper hasn't shifted and the coconuts are still in the trees.

No good deed goes unpunished. I say remove it from you website and forget about all the nutcases who are 1000 miles away and for some reason or another absolutely must monitor the port status 24/7. What is wrong with those people? They are either off their meds or in need of a prescription for some.

I don’t let them bother me per se, just a minor annoyance that really makes me grateful I’m not them . I will keep it up for now, but still investigating a better option for getting this info available to the general public.

Oddly, my experience has been that people act in more demanding and entitled ways about things being offered to them for free than they do about things for which they're paying.
Sounds kind of like being a ScubaBoard moderator...which we do for free.

I don’t let them bother me per se, just a minor annoyance that really makes me grateful I’m not them . I will keep it up for now, but still investigating a better option for getting this info available to the general public.
Charge a buck! That’ll keep the rift raft away :)

No, it comes from a regional report that is given over the Marine Bands and then the local guy comes on afterwards and gives us official status for here
So, since the port can close at any time, one would need to monitor the marine band (frequency?) continuously for updates. That said, is there a scheduled broadcast for the port status in the morning, or do all the dive ops risk running down to the marina only to find it closed? Are the broadcasts in a standard format?

Sorry for the all the questions, but you've got a bunch of geeks running around here with hammers, and this looks like one very big nail ....

I disagree, Christi. I think it's a wonderful service. Maybe put a disclaimer that the pricks that complain can F$%* themselves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom