Quite the storm going on now !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And don't count on my website port status - because people have literally become very demanding and flat out rude with emails and phone calls because they believed it wasn't updated (even when it was) - I will probably be removing it from my website. It was there intended to be a courtesy, not real time up to the minute updates. It is not something people should be relying on to plan their days and trips and definitely not for people to make demands on how/when it is updated. It's not automated and therefore requires me, a human, to go in and manually make the update - which requires me to physically be at my computer in my office - which is not always possible.

It's disgusting how some people feel so entitled.

Cozumel! One of the smoother crossings to date.

... Gotta love the eye of the storm?

The wreck moved:
View attachment 502027

Cameron

Cameron,

Is that the sailboat opposite the museum? I was just getting used to seeing it there and looking forward to diving it.

Couv

Cameron,

Is that the sailboat opposite the museum? I was just getting used to seeing it there and looking forward to diving it.

Couv

That's the one. It moved from its original resting place a little in the fall. And now yesterday it's driven even closer to shore.

Cameron

And don't count on my website port status - because people have literally become very demanding and flat out rude with emails and phone calls because they believed it wasn't updated (even when it was) - I will probably be removing it from my website. It was there intended to be a courtesy, not real time up to the minute updates. It is not something people should be relying on to plan their days and trips and definitely not for people to make demands on how/when it is updated. It's not automated and therefore requires me, a human, to go in and manually make the update - which requires me to physically be at my computer in my office - which is not always possible.

Sorry to hear that--I'm sure most of us really appreciate your efforts and it is/was, as far as I know, the only place where we could instantly get the port status. I never took it as being the word of God, but rather a reasonably reliable source of information with allowances for you having a life :)

@JamesBon92007 and it’s not even about the personal life boundaries - it’s about me not being stationary at my computer 24/7. My job as a shop owner as well as serving on a couple of different boards creates many commitments and obligations that take me out of the office quite a bit for meetings, etc. I consider keeping people informed as important, but not the MOST important by any means - it is a professional courtesy.

@Dogbowl - you would be astonished at some of the phone calls and emails I’ve received - from people not even on the island so have no vested interest in the current port status - because it literally has zero affect on people who are not currently on the island diving. They e also been from people who dive with other operations. Last week a woman in the planning stages of a trip, diving with another operation wanted to know what was going to happen this weekend because she “needed to plan.” No greeting or salutation - just a demand - at least that’s how her email came across. I replied with a polite response including a link to windguru saying this is what we monitor and asked her if she’d like to set up some diving - of course I never heard back from Her. So I’m disenchanted and “over” the entitlement and expectations from people that I
provide minute by minute updates - I can’t control other peoples bad behavior, so I’ll take care of what I can control and take it down until I figure out another way to provide this information.

By the way the port opened at about 1:00 today.

Out of curiosity, I wonder by what method local authorities DO notify locals of an impending disaster? QUOTE]

They don't. But, you get to read about it in the newspaper later, if you survive. Just kidding! The radio is the prime means of spreading gossip and impending disaster warnings on the island.

That was nothing...we had 10 foot swells on our dive today in LC Brac....recovering 21 divers was an acrobatic event to say the least...we had a few ladies screaming on our way out and back:)...maybe a man or two too.

But that ferry video could have ended badly...!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom