questions about dive gear purchase help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bo bennett

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
its my first time on this site, hopefully someone can help.Approx thirty dives, buyin some gear. either atomic b2 or scubapro mk/25 600. maybe seaquest balance or scuba pro nighthawk. back inflate vs. jacket? does the back inflate really float you on your face? does the jacket float you upright in a unconsious emergency? just so confused. every dive shop has a pitch! help me folks. please

You can search the "BCD", and "Regulator" forums for countless threads discussing your questions if you ever feel like reading for a long time. While I think you would be equally happy with either regulator, I'd get the Mark 25/S600 unless they are from different LDS's and you like the Atomic dealer better. Back inflate BCD's won't float you on your face unless you want it to (as in snorkeling). Neither type is guaranteed to float an unconscious diver upright as they are not USCG approved life jackets; however, you would have a better shot at it in a jacket type where the bladder surrounds you. When you trained in a jacket type BCD you probably inflated it all the way when you were on the surface. When you make the switch to a back inflate don't do that, just put enough air in it to get your head out of the water. I feel your pain about the LDS pitch, just don't let them lead you into something you don't want.

SO 30 DIVES UNDER YOUR BELT, thus you have some knowledge of equipment. first your regulator. you mantioned atomic or mk25. my first was a mk25 the best breathing of all my regs..... i also have a m1 atomic. if you look at the atomics and you will see little difference in the models. they recommend to be serviced every 2 years as opposed to 1 year. its the metal in hte reg. they are all good in my opinion. as for scubapro you can look at a mk 20 also it is basically the same as the mk25 and perhaps a bit cheaper. other major brands i cant comment on.

bcd's .... ok this is a big area. first are you going to dive a lot or a few times a year? i have had both the jacket and the back inflate. the back inflate did throw me on my face till i adjusted the weight position to the back of the harness to take care of it. i use a dive rite transpac. next do you think you are going to go to doubles some time. if so look at a back plate and get some advice from the backplate community. they are pretty inespensive perhaps under 125.00 the money is in the wing. perhaps 2-300 can get a good one. once again get some advice on size from the backplate or techie folks. another thing to look at is if you are going to model your diving on the DIR principals. if so gear gets more specific. some folks agree and some dont with dir. the thing is if you are going to do this start with the right basics and expand as apposed to rebuying every year or so.

some things i believe in is

if you use a computer make it an air integrated one i use a tank transmitter to avoid the leash effect of the hp hose.

have your rig flexible enough accomodate the spectrum of diving you will be doing.

lightly read up on hogarthian diving. dont overload on the crap you carry with you. take only what you need.

being non fully DIR compliant is OK. you will surface again.

always use a weight belt even if it only has a couple of lbs in it.

figure out what is you most personal gear and own it. computer , reg , bc ,mask. rent the other stuff to start.

more bucks does not necessarily buy better stuff.

learn theory and use toys to confirm. or buy toys and use theory to confirm.

go for function not asthetics.

one surface for every dive

practice/ do something new on each dive and log it.

perfect your skills at your own rate

if you go with a backplate you will be comfronted with the question of al or steel. this will depend on the amount of weight you carry. steel is a lot heavier than al. when steel goes on an equal weight in lead must come off to comp. when you get gear make sure you can try it ( in a pool) to see if it works for you. shoes dont dance the same on the floor as they do in the store. or most peoples ex's were once really fine people.

fins there is a lot of controversy on split of non split. figure what kind of kicks you do ,, do you dive in currents or still water. and sadly what are the fins your buddies are using that you dive with.

thats probably enough to start with

good luck.

Oceanic has a deal right now. New B/C, New GT3 regulator and octopus and a computer/console for $800.00. All of it very good gear.

let me know what color you want and where to ship it.

its my first time on this site, hopefully someone can help.Approx thirty dives, buyin some gear. either atomic b2 or scubapro mk/25 600. maybe seaquest balance or scuba pro nighthawk. back inflate vs. jacket? does the back inflate really float you on your face? does the jacket float you upright in a unconsious emergency? just so confused. every dive shop has a pitch! help me folks. please

A couple of quick points:

1.) A jacket BC is not a lifejacket! It will not float you face-up if you are unconscious. The only BC I know of that can float you face-up is the old-style horse collar BC.

2.) A back inflate BC (if over-inflated) may have a tendancy to push you forward compared to a jacket BC. If this happens? Just lean back.... but really, it is not an issue if you do not over-inflate the BC.

Why would you over-inflate any BC? Over-weighting.

New divers typically dive with too much weight. Sometimes way too much weight.

Correctly weighted, I have NOT found a tendancy for my BP/W (backplate and wing) to push me face forward.

Correctly weighted, you do not need very much air in any type of BC to float comfortably on the surface.

Best wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom