Discover scuba dive with my wife and friends against my better judgement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many musicians give private lessons on their instrument having no education at all on "how to teach". They get their students based on their playing ability and word of mouth.

You also don't hear about people dying or getting hurt because they didn't learn how to play musical instruments properly from an unqualified music teacher. I haven't.

If an "advanced" diver knows his/her skills well and observes safety standards (be logical with conditions, etc.), it is probably fine for them to show people the DSD skills.

There is a lot of "if's" in your statement. Who is to decide and monitor that the person is doing it correctly? And if there is an injury, even a very insignificant injury, do you know how much liability exposure there is to the person doing the teaching without being qualified and properly certified??

To give you an example: I am qualified to teach the full range of recreational SCUBA diving courses but I am only authorized to teach the beginner level of free diving, down to 12 meters. I can probably teach the next course in free diving, down to 20 meters but I am not authorized/certified to teach the second level. I'd NEVER even think of teaching this second course before I am certified to teach it. Not even to a spouse or a child even when I am very experienced and certified instructor in SCUBA and the beginner level in free diving. Contrast this to somebody who is NOT certified/authorized to teach ANYTHING at all, NOTHING!!

Of
This isn't true at all. An "advanced diver" isn't qualified or trained on how to teach skills and how to evaluate students. Being a super duper advanced master diver extraordinaire has no relationship with being qualified to teach any skill at all. Few years ago, one such "advanced" diver tried to teach his buddy how to dive and only managed to hurt his buddy where he can't dive for the rest of his life (middle ear injury). Similar scenario about twenty years ago, a father tried to teach his son the basic diving skills in their 8 foot swimming pool in NY, the son almost drowned and was taken to a hospital and had to undergo medical treatment. The son was traumatized after this fiasco and never wanted to dive at all after his ordeal.

I certainly don't want to be the buddy or the father dealing with my son's or buddy's injury because of my mistakes and doing something I wasn't authorized and qualified to do. The weight of the guilt and shame is way too much to bear.

If you don't like how a professional does their job, find another one to do it for you, don't try to do it yourself especially when you aren't qualified to do it.
This is another valid point of view

You also don't hear about people dying or getting hurt because they didn't learn how to play musical instruments properly from an unqualified music teacher. I haven't.

There is a lot of "if's" in your statement. Who is to decide and monitor that the person is doing it correctly? And if there is an injury, even a very insignificant injury, do you know how much liability exposure there is to the person doing the teaching without being qualified and properly certified??

To give you an example: I am qualified to teach the full range of recreational SCUBA diving courses but I am only authorized to teach the beginner level of free diving, down to 12 meters. I can probably teach the next course in free diving, down to 20 meters but I am not authorized/certified to teach the second level. I'd NEVER even think of teaching this second course before I am certified to teach it. Not even to a spouse or a child even when I am very experienced and certified instructor in SCUBA and the beginner level in free diving. Contrast this to somebody who is NOT certified/authorized to teach ANYTHING at all, NOTHING!!
When I finished that post I figured someone may bring up these points, points to consider for sure.
Yes, no one to my knowledge has died from a faulty trumpet lesson. But, I would think someone somewhere died as a kid when dad taught poor bicycling.
People teach others many things without any kind of proper license/certification to do so. Yes, if it's something like scuba, skydiving, even skiing, one should consider the consequences of poor teaching should some thing go wrong. If something is taught wrong at that trumpet lesson the student must find a teacher who will correct months of improper practice, but there is no harm to health.

And I agree there are a lot of "ifs" in my statement. And yes I know of liability exposure having paid for DM insurance the 4 years I was active.
Though I am in the camp of only pros teaching something like scuba, and also that DSDs are not the safest thing in the world even when done by an instructor and even with the ratio of instructor to students Standard being followed--- I got the feeling from recent posts by several that nobody anywhere should teach anything-- dangerous or not-- unless they have an official license/certification/degree, etc.
Many people do this and in some cases it is probably fine -- if the "ifs" hold.

Agree
When I finished that post I figured someone may bring up these points, points to consider for sure.
Yes, no one to my knowledge has died from a faulty trumpet lesson. But, I would think someone somewhere died as a kid when dad taught poor bicycling.
People teach others many things without any kind of proper license/certification to do so. Yes, if it's something like scuba, skydiving, even skiing, one should consider the consequences of poor teaching should some thing go wrong. If something is taught wrong at that trumpet lesson the student must find a teacher who will correct months of improper practice, but there is no harm to health.

And I agree there are a lot of "ifs" in my statement. And yes I know of liability exposure having paid for DM insurance the 4 years I was active.
Though I am in the camp of only pros teaching something like scuba, and also that DSDs are not the safest thing in the world even when done by an instructor and even with the ratio of instructor to students Standard being followed--- I got the feeling from recent posts by several that nobody anywhere should teach anything-- dangerous or not-- unless they have an official license/certification/degree, etc.
Many people do this and in some cases it is probably fine -- if the "ifs" hold.
Agree...and my reply was to an advanced cave diver handing his wife off to a DM for the DSD.

I feel that many things go unreported because mostly, people do not know the standards.......
Of course, people first hear of standards when doing their DM course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom