Question for the she-p users...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you to all of the ladies that have contributed to this thread. I read it all the way through and learned alot.

I just ordered my first drysuit (Santi EMotion), and have specified that it be configured with a Halcyon P valve. Now I must prepare myself for the dreaded She-P.

I have a few questions:

1) What is your experience with shaving? I saw that one woman got the she-p to stick without shaving. What length do you find most effective? Clean shave, 1/8 in stubble, etc?

2) do the caps that people mentioned come with the she-p or should they be ordered separately?

3) has anyone ever tried this alternate solution? It apparently does not require glue, and I spoke to someone who knows the woman who wrote this web page, and he said that she is very successful with it. Amphibian Productions » Female P-Valve

Thanks,
Linda

Hi, Linda,

Jealous of the Santi E.Motion suit. Congrats!

1. Shave it all otherwise you'll risk ripping off the hair when you remove the device. How often you shave depends on how fast the growth. I prefer clean freshly shaved skin so for a week's diving trip, I'll shave before the trip and once more during the trip to make sure no stubble.

2. You have to order the caps and plugs separately, they do not come with the device, at least they did not when I ordered my device.

3. Never heard of nor tried the alternate solution.

^^^ What Sam said, but I find the She-P sticks with up to a 1/8" stubble. If you don't like shaving (shave with the grain, not against it, for less bumps), a beard trimmer will get you very close, but you have to use it more often.

I was more successful than I thought (as expressed in my previous posts) because my balanced valve was leaking.

Lately, my luck hasn't been so good. At 1 point, I was about 85% success,... now it's about40%. I haven't been doing anything different, that I can think of. I'll keep trying though.

2) do the caps that people mentioned come with the she-p or should they be ordered separately?

Linda, I got my She-P "package" from EE and it had the caps. So if you get it from there it may.

I don't have time to sort back through all these posts to see if this has been said but in a nutshell my few pieces of advice:

• A friend recommended Tena's (diapers) as a backup and I STILL use them. They are much less bulky and grandma-ish than other brands. Walmart carries them as does Amazon if you don't want to buy them in person LOL.
  • When I wear it, I generally take the She-P off as soon as the dive is over if there is a bathroom available. Obviously you don't want to just throw it in a bag but when you stick it in a plastic bag with glue on it, it can get kind of messy unsticking it from the bag. Don't know what made think of it but one day I started to think about what would be more effective and I came up with wax paper to cover the sticky part temporarily - tried it and it worked like a charm. Have since shared the idea with a few friends who have also found the idea useful.
  • I use remove pads. Although Jax's approach would definitely be cheaper, I am interested in trying the Goof-off or whatever it is called.
  • RE shaving: I can't imagine not shaving every day or two while using it. I am seriously going to look into laser hair removal, I hate shaving. If anyone knows a good place around Atlanta, let me know!

Good luck.

:lol:

I cannot vouch for any of the Goof Off products!

However, the below, I can vouch for. I use it extensively in my woodworking and such, and used it many times on cuts and scrapes without sting. Therefore, I applied it (initially gingerly) to myself and it works without side affects. All types work well, although I find the spray the most convenient.

Goo Gone Spray Gel, 12oz

GGHS12_340.png

Kate:

As much as I hate to pay the shipping and customs fees when I order from the US, I think that on this I will contact EE. The kits available from European based sites don't seem to be so inclusive. I wish that I could count on a business trip to the States before I will need the She-p, but I can't. I already spent so much money on the drysuit, I'll just go for it, and do it right. And the waxed paper idea sounds brilliant! Thanks for the hints. Good talking to you again!

Jax:

I just love Goo Gone for other things, it doesn't surprise me that it works for this too. A bottle of it is usually on my America shopping list whenever I'm in the States, I just hope that my current bottle lasts until I can replenish. Thanks for the hint!

Again, Scubaboard to the rescue! There aren't many drysuit divers in Israel, and all of them that I know are male. I don't know what I would do without my "virtual dive buddies" out there in the big Scubaboard world!

Reactions: Jax
linda, the she-p originated in holland, i think - you might have more european opportunities than you think.

i don't shave but do clip, and this past trip had more 'shifting' issues, so i think i'll clip longer next time. i've never had any hair come off when the she-p did. i leave mine on until shower time, which protects my undies from glue balls, too, and keep the diaper in place. i use regular baby huggies with the edges folded back.

here's something to think about, tammy - i noticed this this past week. like i said, it felt like it was shifting, so i was trying to pee pretty 'clinched up', with my legs quite together and trying to avoid a blow off. well, i was getting a feeling like it was ballooning, so i kept clenching more & more. turns out, i think i was so tight that the edges of the inner flange were touching & sticking some & the ballooning i was feeling was from the pee not being able to actually get out the device. i went to knees wide but holding a hand on the upper edge (because i've never blown out the back, always the front, guess i have a pretty flat perineum) and this worked fine. so basically, i was causing my own problem and incorrectly interpreting feedback making it worse.

extra underwear & socks are a good thing! if you have a slight failure, stick it back & keep going, that's what a diaper is for! if it all blows off, close your bolt if you have one! rah rah rah!

Reactions: Jax
I've watched the videos, lurked on this thread, met Laura, and still ---still not yet decided. It's alot of money to spend if I have anger management issues with it. I have only one question I haven't seen answered yet.

If you are done diving, and want to hang out with your buddies for a dive briefing which may include food and beverages, is it uncomfortable to sit on if you are on a hard chair? One poster did say it was comfortable to wear, but I can't imagine excusing myself for awhile to try to remove it in a public restroom.

Thanks!!!

it's comfy if you have a comfy amount of air in it. too much & you're sitting on a balloon and likely to blow it off you, and too little and it pinches. the adjustment isn't hard, though, and is quick. not that discreet, so have buddies willing to ignore the fact you have your hand down your pants. *don't* take it off in the parking lot or where ever unless you're willing to sacrifice your undies or have something else to stick in between the glue & your undies - maybe a wipe - which would then make going to pee harder than just leaving it on.

of course, my opinion only. ladies?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom