Question for the she-p users...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tried the She-P again the other day. At first it seemed like it was going to work,.... the frontal blowout (Darn!). Was hoping to try it again, but circumstances have changed so that it looks like my cave diving trip may be cut somewhat short, soooooo........... Maybe next time.

After looking at all my notes and such, I believe there are some lessons learned:

1 - after a blowout, clean the She-P of all glue thoroughly - don't try doing just the back or wherever.
......Lesson guessed - the glue is weakened by the blowout so none of it can be trusted.

2 - The closure top for the end of the weenis and the end of the P-valve are worth their weight in gold.
......Lesson guessed - after I was sure the device was sealing, I believe the disconnect is what left drops - and I have a sensitive nose.

3 - Most of MY initial troubles are caused by my neck seal leaking past my neck tendons. I am working on that. But a she-p leak to the Poise and wet undergarments sure can combine to a stinky mess!

I just finished a five day trip. I used a different bottle of Urobond, and had no problems at all.

BTW, I have not cleaned the glue off the device after a blowout. I always assumed the problem wasn't weak glue, but either too thin a layer or inadequate site prep. I have often had a leak on one day, and a perfectly successful outing the next.

I seem to have MUCH better luck in warm climates. I think the glue "sets up" better where it's hot.

Reactions: Jax
Sigh . . . back to the drawing board! :)

The symptoms must have started on Sunday, but since I hadn't been affected by a UTI in 20-30 years, I didn't think I could possibly have one. Monday I was uncomfortable, but I attributed it to soreness from adhesive removal. In the middle of the night, early Tuesday, I got up to pee, felt discomfort, and then had chills. I was at the Urgent Care at 7 am and was told I had a "classic case."

Could the UTI be related to She-P use? Now that it's summer, I've been using the She-P twice a week, and on a Saturday I can have it on for up to 12 hours. It's difficult to get all the urine out of the reservoir when it's on, and I wonder if it could cause a UTI. Another possibility I've thought of is that I may not have been careful enough using the adhesive remover, and it may have come in contact with the urethra.

I can't think of what else may have caused the UTI after not having had one in so long. I had them a couple times when I was younger and it made me vigilant about doing the things you're supposed to do to prevent them.

It is certainly conceivable that the UTI was associated with the She-P. Urine is a great culture medium, and holding a reservoir of it close to your body (and at body temperature) for 12 hours could result in a greater exposure to bacteria than normal. But the urethra in women is short, and the perineum is heavily contaminated with bacteria all the time, anyway, so I'm not sure how much of a difference that would make.

If the bacteriology of the infection is unusual (Pseudomonas) it would be much easier to blame it on the She-P/p-valve. In men, apparently a lot of the p-valve related urinary tract infections have turned out to be Pseudomonas, which is not a normal urinary tract pathogen. But in men, any kink or restriction in the flow can result in reflux into the urethra, whereas in women, if the pressure in the system goes up, urine goes into the vagina instead.

Thanks for your reply, Lynne. I've been using the She-P for over a year with no problems, so maybe I'm being too quick to blame it.

Ok, the she-p *will* work with hair longer than stubble, and getting it unstuck wasn't a big deal at all. (I'm at about an inch in length because we planned to dive wet but I went dry today.) I did the coat of urobond & let dry, another coat, put it on, pressed for a minute or so, and put a diaper against it & undies on. Worked beautifully all day & came off with a bit of baby oil & no fuss. Will it work as well tomorrow? Who knows? Stay tuned. :)

Wow -- I've always felt that using it when I haven't shaved recently is kind of like signing up for a very unempathetic wax job.

Reactions: Jax
If it was a fluke, it's now a two-days-in-a-row fluke. I got wet, but not from the she-p!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom