Question for the she-p users...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yes, jax - my weenis is 3-4in. it double-barbs to the she-p, and the quick disconnect is at the other end. that keeps the qd away from any bony bits. a plus is that i can then wee out the top of my pants or a fly! :) then the valve hose is long and does a loop up past my bellybutton & down to my not-quite-inner thigh.

y'all are scaring me with the stories of less sticky urobond - i just bought a new jar, too.

Thank you!

As for the jar -- I bought it within about the last six months, I think. :hmmm:

I have asked a couple times if Urocare changed their formula or anything to which they reply no. I have used a new and old jars side by side and had no difference in adhesion, I will ask heleen if she has noticed anything.

Are you all using a layer of the urobond on you and one or two coats on the she-p that you let dry reasonably well before sticking? we used to say 'till tacky' but it seems that it sticks even better if you actually apply it to the she-p, walk away for minute or two, apply second coat, give it a couple minutes, apply a thin layer to you, give it a minute to dry and then stick.

similar technique works well for the spray also.

I have asked a couple times if Urocare changed their formula or anything to which they reply no. I have used a new and old jars side by side and had no difference in adhesion, I will ask heleen if she has noticed anything.

Are you all using a layer of the urobond on you and one or two coats on the she-p that you let dry reasonably well before sticking? we used to say 'till tacky' but it seems that it sticks even better if you actually apply it to the she-p, walk away for minute or two, apply second coat, give it a couple minutes, apply a thin layer to you, give it a minute to dry and then stick.

similar technique works well for the spray also.

Laura,

I 'scraped' some of the yucky part where the "break-through" occurred, then put a coat on just that part.

Later that evening, I put a nice fresh coat on the entire mounting surface.

The next morning, before going to breakfast, I put on yet another coat.

I found that if I did not remove the soiled glue, it seemed to leave a 'weakness' in that same area to leak again.

On the fourth day, I cleaned off almost all the glue, put on two coats that evening, and another the next morning. I did not seem to have a break-through, but my sensitive nose detected a leak. That's when I noticed the smell on check-valve . . . . So, the check has been sealed with AquaSeal.

Still, there seems to be something leaking. I am wondering if the excellent wicking properties of the undergarments are not . . . . "lifting and spreading" the fluids? Especially as my drysuit inflator is leaking, and the flow of the water takes it down my body.

:(

What area are you getting repeated leakage? It sounds a bit like there were oils or moisturizer on the area of breakthrough if a new layer didn't help. Moisturizer strips on razors, lotion, even moisturizing shave cream can hinder stickiness.

I have no experience letting a layer dry overnight.

What p-valve are you using? Re: sealing the check valve with aquaseal, do you mean the balancing valve?

Are you using a poise pad? I still recommend this just in case. This way if you find you have a bit of a leak, you can use the michael Jackson maneuver (grab your croch) and still get 90% of the pee out the valve, and not be so worried about wetting your undergarments.

What area are you getting repeated leakage? It sounds a bit like there were oils or moisturizer on the area of breakthrough if a new layer didn't help. Moisturizer strips on razors, lotion, even moisturizing shave cream can hinder stickiness.

Right side of the peri . . . . umm, 'taint! I clean and dry (blow-dry) the area well, every morning. This was the first three days, so maybe something was on the She-P itself? :idk:

I have no experience letting a layer dry overnight.

I can vouch for it! Did this because some of the ladies discussed that they left the glue on the She-P each night, and put on a new coat. It worked.

What p-valve are you using? Re: sealing the check valve with aquaseal, do you mean the balancing valve?

Sorry - you're right, the balancing valve. I'm using the Light Monkey p-valve.

When I was doing the intensive troubleshooting, after I ran alcohol through the p-valve, I realized I could smell it coming out of the suit. Looking at the balancing valve opening, there was definitely fluid, and . . . :yuck: not just alcohol. Peeewwwww.

Are you using a poise pad? I still recommend this just in case. This way if you find you have a bit of a leak, you can use the michael Jackson maneuver (grab your croch) and still get 90% of the pee out the valve, and not be so worried about wetting your undergarments.

Yes, I used the Poise Pad daily. That is why I am thinking there may be either a technique problem (and I lost the cap, blank it!) or that the water leak also saturated the area so that the undergarments wicked away the dribbled fluids.

Please note - I am NOT seeing the device being the problem in any of this; however, the operator needs more experience . . . :giggle:

I wouldn't think Urobond had changed their formulation, but I worry if something went wrong in mixing a batch. I'll give it some more chances, but it's very weird for me to have three failures in a row where I can't blame a known fault in technique.

Reactions: Jax
I have asked again. Will see what the response is. I have you all purchasing from reasonably different time periods and although I don't write down lot numbers, I do run through a fair bit of urobond. Maybe if those of you who are thinking the batch is an issue could send me the lot number from your jar.

Jax, I don't actually recommend blow dryer cause unless it on super cold, even a little warmth can cause some sweating. Blot with a clean dry towel (non fabric softened to death) maybe fan a little. The 'taint area is the most difficult area. Sometimes I peel and restock to make sure it's flat back there.

If you blow through your pee valve is there any resistance? (just trying to cover all bases here) I don't use the LM valve, so am not sure re resistance through its check valve.

I have asked again. Will see what the response is. I have you all purchasing from reasonably different time periods and although I don't write down lot numbers, I do run through a fair bit of urobond. Maybe if those of you who are thinking the batch is an issue could send me the lot number from your jar.

Jax, I don't actually recommend blow dryer cause unless it on super cold, even a little warmth can cause some sweating. Blot with a clean dry towel (non fabric softened to death) maybe fan a little. The 'taint area is the most difficult area. Sometimes I peel and restock to make sure it's flat back there.

:shocked2: Jax don't sweat! :cold: :cold: :cold:

If you blow through your pee valve is there any resistance? (just trying to cover all bases here) I don't use the LM valve, so am not sure re resistance through its check valve.

:yuck:

Actually, the quick-disconnect end of the Light Monkey P-valve seals shut. I have to hook up the She-P to run alcohol through all of it. It works.

Now that the balancing valve is sealed, no more alcohol smell in the suit.

I noticed no change in resistance when I went from the Halcyon to the LM valve. I'll look up the batch number on the Urobond.

Not the pee valve, the check valve.

I have side by side tested (blown through) multiple pee valves in shops and ones I have had in stock. The internal check valve as opposed to the big fat mushroom flapper valve on outside can have variances even in brand new valves, no matter who made them.

Check valves are something that sometimes need replacing. They can get stuck open, they can get stuck a bit closed... The resistance can vary, which is why i asked if she could check it.

JAX, are you going to be at Long Beach show? I can bring a couple extra of the little white plug sides down south with me so you can rinse your valve without the she-p hooked up. This way you can also blow through and see if there is excess resistance.

When Heleen and I were experimenting with different QD's we decided at end of day that the socket 'open all the time' and using a small white plug for when not hooked up was worth having a pee valve that was more readily cleaned. I ran the numbers once and actually white acetal plug and flow through Socket = less expensive than the Socket with built in stop.

Reactions: Jax

Back
Top Bottom